Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
    With all the "development" the next big rainmaker is going to open some eyes to the effects of paving everything in sight.
    We already had this May 2016...20" of rain in Katy. Search for Memorial Day Flooding in the old threads. Had boats going down Avenue D.

Bottom line is, no area is built to cope with 20" of rain, especially with the lack of elevation change near the coast. Whether or not something is paved only helps to a certain extent, as we saw about a month ago in Katy, where 5-6" flooded some roads. 20" of rain shuts anything down.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
      Sure don't like the way the map shows dry slotting over SW TX
      Those are 2-week rain totals.

Comment

Local news this morning said 10 - 15" over the next 7 days. I'm not excited about this either (was supposed to go to the lease this weekend and finish my stuff), and I certainly want to be prepared, but y'all are working yourselves into a tizzy and there's still a lot of uncertainty at this point.

Comment

How bad does the flooding get around the nrg Stadium with this amount of rain fall.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            um yeh ...unless you drive a submarine.
            Kind of what I figured! Dang it, this was the last weekend I had free to get it done before deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
              How bad does the flooding get around the nrg Stadium with this amount of rain fall.
              you should be fine as long as your sitting in the nose bleeds

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                We already had this May 2016...20" of rain in Katy. Search for Memorial Day Flooding in the old threads. Had boats going down Avenue D.

Bottom line is, no area is built to cope with 20" of rain, especially with the lack of elevation change near the coast. Whether or not something is paved only helps to a certain extent, as we saw about a month ago in Katy, where 5-6" flooded some roads. 20" of rain shuts anything down.
                This is true, BUT, with all the new roads comes new structures. The added water shed to the area in forms of roofs, streets, driveways, parking lots etc. play a major roll in compounding the situation. Not to mention new levies that have been constructed.

Comment

Looks like NOAA will update again at 1000 CDT

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                    This is true, BUT, with all the new roads comes new structures. The added water shed to the area in forms of roofs, streets, driveways, parking lots etc. play a major roll in compounding the situation. Not to mention new levies that have been constructed.
                    My thoughts exactly, with 99 complete and all the deforestation in Humble by the Costco we're going to see something new I reckon.

Comment

My thoughts exactly, with 99 complete and all the deforestation in Humble by the Costco we're going to see something new I reckon.
                      99 ****ed up a lot of run off... it floods consistently on 99 now on just light rain...making it impassable in some spots..

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        99 ****ed up a lot of run off... it floods consistently on 99 now on just light rain...making it impassable in some spots..
                        That's "progress" I'm sure the area being developed in Humble is going to compound the issue further.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                          Does anyone know the rain predictions for TS Allison? I think that was the on that flooded most of Houston a couple of years ago.

June 9th, 2001 I still have nightmares.

10 million gallons of water in my office and labs. Took me 3.5 years to get back into my office.

We don't want that again!!
                          post 216

Comment

Kind of suprised to see how well organized the system looks at this time compared to last night, and early this morning. You can clearly see a Low level circulation, with deep convection just to the east of it really starting to pop. As well as beginning to see the banding features, and cloud base expanding. The LLC is to the SW side of the big blob. Lots of Convection to the N&NE of the LLC, so you can see how areas N & E of where ever this goes will get a lot of rain.

Comment

That's "progress" I'm sure the area being developed in Humble is going to compound the issue further.
                              They not only de-forested that area, they brought in thousands of yards of dirt and raised it a good 10 feet... where's all the water going that would have been in that part of the drainage... Progress sometimes isn't...

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                                you should be fine as long as your sitting in the nose bleeds
                                lol!!! :d:d:d

Comment

Working...
                                X