Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
    I agree, that's what I find concerning. Seems like the predictions weren't much more than a typical tropical system dropping a lot of rain. I don't think the forecast was for 20" and Houston ship channel recorded almost 40.
    My concern would be the amount of development over the metro area both commercial and housing since Allison. All that area that has filled in between 99 and beltway 8. All that water is diverted somewhere and it has to go to the coast. 20 inches now could be worse for this city than 40 was way back when.
    Last edited by Ætheling; 08-23-2017, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Comment

30 seconds between posts....info coming in 2 minutes...

Comment

Comment

5th post. Info 30 seconds out!

Comment

Check out the link below:

This was a report from the Us Department of Commerce as a Service Assessment to the impacts of Tropical Storm Allison in 2001.

On page 17 there is a recap in regards to the actions taken as titled "Tropical Prediction Center". In the 4th paragraph it reveals that the initial Tropical Storm Warning for Allison predicted for 5 inches of heavy rainfall. (That was predicted at 2pm the afternoon of June 5th - the day of landfall) 2 hours later they predicted a forecast rainfall of 8 inches in isolated areas.

The report continues to read on and explain that the forecasts were updated through the storm, but no where does it mention a 3-4 day future forecast that called for the amount of rain projected for us with Harvey.

My point is this: When Allison was coming they did not expect near the rainfall that they actually received. Now granted this was technology that is now 17 years old, but if the models for Harvey continue to spit out the data they show today we could have our hands full.

Either way, be safe and plan for the worst. You can never be over prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                I remember Allison dumped over 40 inches on us back in 2001. Don't remember the predictions but I don't think it was even close to the massive amount we got.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                If we ever get the rain we did in 1994 Houston and surrounding areas are done. Allison dropped a lot of rain and did some damage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                  If we ever get the rain we did in 1994 Houston and surrounding areas are done. Allison dropped a lot of rain and did some damage as well.
                  Anywhere that receives 40" of rain is done...

Comment

Originally posted by macguyverberry View Post
                    Check out the link below:

This was a report from the Us Department of Commerce as a Service Assessment to the impacts of Tropical Storm Allison in 2001.

On page 17 there is a recap in regards to the actions taken as titled "Tropical Prediction Center". In the 4th paragraph it reveals that the initial Tropical Storm Warning for Allison predicted for 5 inches of heavy rainfall. (That was predicted at 2pm the afternoon of June 5th - the day of landfall) 2 hours later they predicted a forecast rainfall of 8 inches in isolated areas.

The report continues to read on and explain that the forecasts were updated through the storm, but no where does it mention a 3-4 day future forecast that called for the amount of rain projected for us with Harvey.

My point is this: When Allison was coming they did not expect near the rainfall that they actually received. Now granted this was technology that is now 17 years old, but if the models for Harvey continue to spit out the data they show today we could have our hands full.

Either way, be safe and plan for the worst. You can never be over prepared.

Thanks for the great info! Guess I will pack a bag when I go to work on Friday morning just in case roadways become impassable. Back some goodies in you cars [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With all the "development" the next big rainmaker is going to open some eyes to the effects of paving everything in sight.

Comment

So I'm supposed to be in Bellaire for Lasik at 8-10AM Saturday then leaving and going back around 4PM Saturday. Traveling down 59 from Shepherd, should I reschedule?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          So I'm supposed to be in Bellaire for Lasik at 8-10AM Saturday then leaving and going back around 4PM Saturday. Traveling down 59 from Shepherd, should I reschedule?
                          um yeh ...unless you drive a submarine.

Comment

Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Problem with Allison is that heifer hit, sat, backed back out, regained some strength and hit us again.

And with these wobbly tracks on Harvey it wouldn't surprise me if it kinda did the same thing. But we still have 3 days so I'm sure it will change some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                              With all the "development" the next big rainmaker is going to open some eyes to the effects of paving everything in sight.
                              No it won't. People know the effects but they keep doing it anyway.

Comment

Does anyone know the rain predictions for TS Allison? I think that was the on that flooded most of Houston a couple of years ago.

June 9th, 2001 I still have nightmares.

10 million gallons of water in my office and labs. Took me 3.5 years to get back into my office.

We don't want that again!!

Comment

Working...
                                X