No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuiu is is having a 25% off sale on some of their gear now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last day of Kuiu sale. It cost me another $590 stocking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Montana slid their drawing back a week. They won't have results until next week.

Comment

New Mexico released the draw....We drew!!!!

We did not receive an email...had to log in to check

Comment

I received an email and got the big red UNSUCCESSFUL when I logged in.

Comment

Yeah I checked mine a while ago. On the down side I saw nothing but red. On the up side I’ll be getting $6,220 back from New Mexico this next week. Trying to see the silver lining of not drawing.

Comment

The email also mentions that there were 203,000 applicants trying for 58,000 licenses. A 7% increase from 2017. I would assume a majority of the increase is from non-residents, making our chances of drawing even less.

Comment

Has anyone ever hunted the sawtooth or weiser river regions in Idaho? The harvest statistics look pretty good. I'll be making my first elk hunt this year and am considering these units or maybe unit 70/71 in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                    Has anyone ever hunted the sawtooth or weiser river regions in Idaho? The harvest statistics look pretty good. I'll be making my first elk hunt this year and am considering these units or maybe unit 70/71 in Colorado.
                    Never hunted Idaho but I have hunted 71 in CO which I can help you with.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      Never hunted Idaho but I have hunted 71 in CO which I can help you with.
                      Thanks drthornton I'll shoot you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                        Hunted sawtooth and 70.

Going to sawtooth will cost you atleast 3 days hunting in travel. Straight through it takes us about 24 hours. Pluses are OTC tags for mule deer and possible 2nd elk tag, lots of room to roam. Plus or minus depending on the person is off road motorcycle trails in lots of the NF. Lots of locals bike in deep. If you go buy a wolf tag. If wolves are close hunting gets tough.

Unit 70, closer and milder terrain, donÂ’t be scared of the Flat BLM lots of elk out there. Minuses- just bear and elk OTC tags, and lots of private(negative to some positive to others).

Comment

Originally posted by jeff-fro View Post
                          The email also mentions that there were 203,000 applicants trying for 58,000 licenses. A 7% increase from 2017. I would assume a majority of the increase is from non-residents, making our chances of drawing even less.
                          Subscription service hunters? Maybe? Seems to be very popular among western states applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            Hunted sawtooth and 70.

Going to sawtooth will cost you atleast 3 days hunting in travel. Straight through it takes us about 24 hours. Pluses are OTC tags for mule deer and possible 2nd elk tag, lots of room to roam. Plus or minus depending on the person is off road motorcycle trails in lots of the NF. Lots of locals bike in deep. If you go buy a wolf tag. If wolves are close hunting gets tough.

Unit 70, closer and milder terrain, donÂ’t be scared of the Flat BLM lots of elk out there. Minuses- just bear and elk OTC tags, and lots of private(negative to some positive to others).
                            Thank you for the info

Comment

I drew New Mexico. Need to reread this thread

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                                I drew New Mexico. Need to reread this thread

Congrats. What did you draw?

Comment

Working...
                                X