Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Here is the deal - We (my deer lease group) just found out yesterday that the farmer on our deer lease(not the LO, fyi) has recently had hog doggers out to our place in order to keep the pig population in check. Historically, we have not had many pigs, which has been somewhat surprising to me, given the general area (Hare, Tx). They move through occasionally and hit feeders, but not enough consistency to hunt, imo. Yes, we have signed lease agreements and exclusive hunting rights. Yes, we know the LO in in breach of our agreement but nobody is interested in going Johnie Cockran over some hog doggers at this point. I have zero experience with hog dogging and know nothing about the affects if has on the deer herd and deer hunting. I'm a dog guy and owned pit-bulls for 2 decades before I got into gsp's. I have always wanted to go along on a dog hog-hunt just to watch the dogs work, I think it's something I would enjoy.

Please help me with some insight from people with firsthand knowledge and experience. Our lease renewal is coming up in a couple months -

1) What kind of affect does hog dogging have on deer hunting?

2) Is it a viable method to help control the pig population?

Absolutely will help with controlling your pig population but unfortunately will run your deer to the next county if the pressure is to harsh.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mexico; 03-31-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Absolutely will help with controlling your pig population but unfortunately will run your deer to the next county if he pressure is to harsh.

One lease member has trailcam pics of them showing up on a weekly basis.

Comment

Absolutely will help with controlling your pig population but unfortunately will run your deer to the next county if the pressure is to harsh.

X2

Comment

This thread should get the blood flowing on the green screen early.

Comment

Our farmer let hog doggers on our place too. We spoke everyone and they said the will stop.

The way they hunted our place was to go to the feeder in the morning and have the dogs track away from the feeder. So they are messing up your feeder area.

It is not good and they should pay some of the bill if they are hunting it too.

Comment

I would imagine how frequently they are on the property and when would be the key. I wouldn't think them doing it now would have much effect come October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I doubt it will effect your hunting as long as they stop before the fall. If you had a high pig population, it would probably help your deer hunting.

Comment

Unless those dogs are running deer (not trash broken) I don't see why they would bother the deer at all. You're still seeing the deer on camera so they are still there going to the feeders as before.

Kind of depends. They can either catch and remove many of the pigs on the property, or put enough pressure on the pigs that they leave the area for a while. Doesn't kill them all just moves them to someone else property though.

Comment

I was told by a dog runner that they don't really sniff/track hogs...they just run the areas that hogs hide (creeks, ravines, heavy woods, etc) and try to move them. Once they start moving then the chase is on. It s fun to do/watch.

Probably will not affect your deer overall, just temporarily...like, if you are hunting.

Comment

JayB I was told by a dog runner that they don't really sniff/track hogs...they just run the areas that hogs hide (creeks, ravines, heavy woods, etc) and try to move them. Once they start moving then the chase is on. It s fun to do/watch.

Probably will not affect your deer overall, just temporarily...like, if you are hunting.

Wondered about this as well, same issue, but answer seems to vary greatly.
                      Last edited by DesertDug; 03-31-2017, 10:43 AM. Reason: sorry do not know how to have two quotes

Comment

Will not affect your deer what so ever...if they are good dogs. Can control the hog population if they catch and kill and the other hogs will leave your lease if they put enough pressure on them. I would not worry about it at all.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, please keep them coming.

Sounds like the timing thing is important. My initial thoughts are that traps and rifle hunting would be a more effective means of knocking down over-all pig numbers. We are a bow only lease, but in the process of asking to rifle hunt the pigs in the off season. This whole thing kinda came out of nowhere and most of us are like"Really? a pig problem?" If I knew of a concentration of pigs on our place, I would have already been hunting them.

Comment

Hog dogs will never Ever put even a small dent on the hog population. Most doggers I know do it for sport and practice for their dog training. They could care less about your deer , feeding program, hunting area ,etc. The worst thing in the world you can do for a deer place is put dogs on it and that's just a fact. The deer will flat out leave the area as the dog pressure increases. Most will never come back if they have cover ,browse,and water elsewhere.

Comment

We have the this exact issue on our lease

Comment

Working...
                              X