No announcement yet.

Drawn Hunts Killing Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone should stop applying so I can keep getting drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      I put in for 7 states out west and spend around $1500 a year. I am at the point now where I can draw a really quality tag each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      X2. It’s a lot more money than applying here but it is absolutely worth every dime buying points and draw entries across the West with incredible opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        Six years with zero draws? No thanks, I’ll just pay for hunts out right if that’s the going average.
        17 or 18 years and no draws here haha

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
          By far the worst draw hunt system of all the states.
          This is because for the most part Texas hunts are WMA or SP specific with limited space for each hunt thus the small number of drawn hunters each year. But in Kansas for example they draw for separate DMU’s which cover the whole state which means they can draw more people. Kansas doesn’t provide any assistance in securing a property to hunt on with the exception of walk in hunting areas.

Comment

Should have got Doc to buy your ticket for you. That guy has some serious luck going on!

Comment

It is luck of the draw no doubt but there is still a good chance to go on a cool hunt. I got drawn for Brazos Bend State Park with 3 loyalty points. I know it isn't a big deer area but it is essentially a free hunt and I get to check out a new area. I understand it is costly if you apply for a lot of the big ones but it can happen for sure. I never planned to win a hunt but I figure it is going to a good cause..........and there is always a chance to win the big one as many TBHers have shown.

Comment

Just to blow a bee up everyone’s bonnets, I got drawn this year and I’ve never put in for a single hunt. My buddy called me last week, said he put both our names in for a bunch of hunts (his first year) and we drew feral hogs at Choke Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                  Six years with zero draws? No thanks, I’ll just pay for hunts out right if that’s the going average.

Agree!!! I don’t do draw hunts. When I’m ready to hunt a particular animal, I find out where I can go and pay to hunt that animal. Personally I like being able to plan the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
                    Agree!!! I don’t do draw hunts. When I’m ready to hunt a particular animal, I find out where I can go and pay to hunt that animal. Personally I like being able to plan the hunt.

Exactly!!!
                    I pay and plan.
                    Too hard to plan around maybes.

Comment

So until you get 8 preference points, I would not put in for more than 1 draw in each category (unless you are talking archery, which is easier to draw). This lets you build pref points for much cheaper.

But to be honest, most of the hunts are "meh" anyway. My group of 3 people had 10 preference points each and drew Kerr rifle hunt last year... In the entire hunt I think 2 decent bucks were killed out of 20+ people. Yeah, it was fun, but I wouldn't bank on some great hunt.

The entire draw hunt system in Texas should be changed IMO. One issue is they should force a valid Texas hunting license before you can apply. Another is they should do all the draws MUCH MUCH MUCH earlier in the year.

Comment

My Dad and myself have been donating for about 8 years now and have been drawn once for alligator. My son has been drawn on average twice a year. I personally would rather my son have the experience but **** I would like to have a little luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by KLAPPER View Post
                          I'm not an expert so I could be misinterpreting but next to each category that I have applied for it shows how many points I have. I put my daughter in the youth draws this year also and it now shows her to have points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                          Texas is not a true preference point system like Wyoming. In Wyoming, if you have max points in a category you are almost guaranteed to draw. In Texas, if you have 30 points for Pronghorn, your odds are 30 times greater than a person with 1 preference point but 30 times 1/7000 is still lousy odds.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            Texas is not a true preference point system like Wyoming. In Wyoming, if you have max points in a category you are almost guaranteed to draw. In Texas, if you have 30 points for Pronghorn, your odds are 30 times greater than a person with 1 preference point but 30 times 1/7000 is still lousy odds.
                            Oh okay that makes sense, thanks for the clarification

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I must be lucky as hellll. I’ve been puttin in for draws for 5 years now. First the years I got nothing and these last years, including this year, I have drawn 7 total. 3 last and 4 this year. I do and don’t understand the attitude towards a luck of the draw system. It’s no garauntee so I may go years without a draw now. I don’t put in in hopes of getting a premium hunt every time but getting to hunt somewhere new. The hunts I’ve been on have been challenging and fun. I haven’t killed anything yet so my public hunt quest will continue until I get something down.

Comment

10+ preference points for me in most categories...but one day!

Comment

Working...
                                X