Simple Tractor Shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Tractor Shed

I have a little, old, cheap tractor that I picked up for mowing and moving dirt around. But, it sits outside all the time in the sun and rain, because I don't have a covered area to store it. So, I need a tractor shed. Nothing fancy. I probably won't even put doors on it at first. Just something to block the sun and rain.

It's going to be 15'x9', dirt floor, concrete piers, wood structure, with sheet metal exterior. I picked up some used 3'x5' B-deck sheet metal panels on Craigslist for the walls and roof.

A few weeks ago, my dad helped me to roughly level the dirt where the shed will go. Then we dug 7 post holes using an auger on the tractor. That was more difficult than I expected. Concrete was mixed to fill the holes, and anchor bolts set into the wet concrete. I'm using the steel post bases with stand-off plates, to keep the wooden posts off of the concrete.

It's not much to look at right now, but here are the 7 post bases sitting on concrete piers. My dog is guarding the front doorway.
    Last edited by Brad96; 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM.

Looks like a good start. I'm going to be doing something similar down on the coast for mine.

Comment

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing it go up. I was going to build a shed for my small tractor, but bought a 20' shipping container instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

im in

Comment

Looks good, looking forward to see it as you build. I need to do the same thing

Comment

Lumber

I've been out of town, haven't had a change to do anything yet. But, I did get over to Lowe's yesterday to buy some lumber. I have the pressure-treated posts drying in the garage. Hopefully, they won't warp as badly this way. I'm afraid that if I installed them wet, with one side in the sun and the other side shaded, they would all curl toward the south before I could get enough structure attached to hold them in place.

I'm no expert, so feel free to tell me if I'm doing this wrong.
            Last edited by Brad96; 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Posts up

I made some good progress on Saturday. Got the posts and stringers up. Need to buy some more lumber for rafters next.

I'm happy to report that the PT posts did not warp at all while sitting in my garage for a week. Of course, they're not fully dry yet, so we'll see what happens after they stand in the sun for a while.
              Attached Files

Comment

what kinda roof pitch you going to have?

Comment

It drops from 9' tall to 5' tall along the shed's 15' length (front to back). So, I guess that's ~3.2-in-12. I know 5' is pretty short, but I figure only the mower deck will be in the back of the shed. Plus, my siding panels are 5' long, so I don't have to trim their length for the back wall. It's a little tractor, so I should be able to back it in without ducking my head.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

That is looking great

Comment

where are we at on this ???

Comment

Sorry, I've been out of town, busy with something else. I did stop by recently, and hung ONE sheet metal panel while I was there. Purely for my own psychological benefit, so I could feel like I was still making progress. I hope to start on the rafters soon.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Finally, some progress!

I finally got some work done on the shed today. I attached 8' 2x6's to the inner-facing edges of the posts with big lag screws, and then stood 10' 2x4's on top of those with nailed-in rafter ties. I started screwing down the B-deck panels with rubber-washer metal roofing screws, before running out of time. Soon, it will at least be keeping the rain off of the tractor.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks great. Waiting for more updates!

Comment

Working...
                              X