Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool video.

My arrows are 10.56gpp and around 19% foc. My bow is only 43# right now as I get back into shooting after back surgery last year. I will eventually max it at 45# so that will change to 10.09gpp. I would have liked heavier but that is what tuned best for me right now.
    Last edited by stickbowcoop; 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I built some arrows that fly great. Light front end, 12%+ foc, but I noticed they don't get as good of penetration on the target. I need to shoot a drum before I trim them and add weight up front though.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        I built some arrows that fly great. Light front end, 12%+ foc, but I noticed they don't get as good of penetration on the target. I need to shoot a drum before I trim them and add weight up front though.

12% FOC is plenty.
        What GPP are your arrows?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          12% FOC is plenty.
          What GPP are your arrows?

Rick
          7.37 if my math is correct.

Comment

7.37 if my math is correct.

Yeah, that's pretty light weight for a hunting arrow, but would probably still work on deer. I know guys who kill deer with arrows that light, and pretty light weight bows, but I wouldn't do it.

One thing you have to keep in mind though is - these barrels are tough. There's not many animals, that will resist penetration as much.

BUT, if you get good barrel penetration you highly likely will get good penetration on any living creature for sure, and that's a good thing to know ahead of time.

Rick
            Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-19-2018, 08:30 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

48lbs is a light draw to guys like you. To me it's almost as much as I wanna go.

Comment

Arrow Total Weight (grains) 357.6

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP) 7.7

Front of Center (FOC) % 13.6

Arrow Speed (ft/sec) 212.5

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs) 35.8

Comment

48lbs is a light draw to guys like you. To me it's almost as much as I wanna go.

And that's plenty for what you'll be hunting around here.

A 450 to 480 grain arrow out of that Tall Tines will be plenty fast, and will give you pretty good penetration.

Even a 500 grain will work well at 10.4 gpp, but I wouldn't go any heavier than that if it were me using it.

Rick
                  Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-19-2018, 09:15 PM. Reason: Don't know why I called it a Silver Tip

Comment

Arrow Total Weight (grains) 410.4

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP) 8.6

Front of Center (FOC) % 21

Arrow Speed (ft/sec) 200.7

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs) 36.6

This is where I'm at with the Tall Tines.

Comment

Arrow Total Weight (grains) 357.6

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP) 7.7

Front of Center (FOC) % 13.6

Arrow Speed (ft/sec) 212.5

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs) 35.8
                      My 640 grain arrows are averaging 207 fps.

The 535 is considerable faster than that. I figure over 220, and you saw here how much less penetration it got.

If you watch the other videos you will see, that the heavier (over 10 gpp) also penetrated less.

I am convinced, that being between 9 & 10 gpp is the sweet spot.

Rick

Comment

I could easily trim back the arrow an inch and a half, drop another 50 grains up front and get this. Slightly slower but maybe a better combination. I can still run the 100 grain heads I want to up front with some 50 grain inserts weights added. This is on my Widow.
                        Arrow Total Weight (grains) 396.5

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP) 8.6

Front of Center (FOC) % 18.6

Arrow Speed (ft/sec) 201

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs) 35.5

Comment

I have a 300gr Bishop head, that I had forgot about.

With it I can get an 11 gpp arrow built up & tuned to shoot the barrel.

Stand by for news.

Rick

Comment

BOW:
                            Sarrels Blueridge takedown R/D longbow 50#@29"

Arrow:
                            Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket .400 spine 31.5"

Total arrow weight = 563gr
                            GPP = 11.3
                            FOC = 18.6%
                            Speed = 165-170fps (have not chrono'ed in a while)
                            Energy = 36.2 ft-lbs

That arrow melts thru critters like a hot knife thru butter!

Last year, I actually tried to go back to 10.0GPP by switching to a .500 spine FMJ. I shoot a lot of 3D, and my thinking was that the lighter shaft would help me out at the longer 3D shots, while still being plenty heavy enough to hunt with. Got it all tuned up and flying great. Because it was lighter weight, I got a bit more speed out of it. Then I went hunting. Shot 2 critters with that setup. Both were less than stellar as far as penetration goes. Both of those could have been just coincidental, but I lost confidence in the set up and went back to the heavier arrows, and have not looked back! I do believe, that no matter what setup a guy settles on, s*** happens every once in a while, and things will not turn out as planned from time to time.

Bisch
                            Last edited by Bisch; 03-20-2018, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              BOW:
                              Sarrels Blueridge takedown R/D longbow 50#@29"

Arrow:
                              Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket .400 spine 31.5"

Total arrow weight = 563gr
                              GPP = 11.3
                              FOC = 18.6%
                              Speed = 165-170fps (have not chrono'ed in a while)
                              Energy = 36.2 ft-lbs

That arrow melts thru critters like a hot knife thru butter!

Last year, I actually tried to go back to 10.0GPP by switching to a .500 spine FMJ. I shoot a lot of 3D, and my thinking was that the lighter shaft would help me out at the longer 3D shots, while still being plenty heavy enough to hunt with. Got it all tuned up and flying great. Because it was lighter weight, I got a bit more speed out of it. Then I went hunting. Shot 2 critters with that setup. Both were less than stellar as far as penetration goes. Both of those could have been just coincidental, but I lost confidence in the set up and went back to the heavier arrows, and have not looked back! I do believe, that no matter what setup a guy settles on, s*** happens every once in a while, and things will not turn out as planned from time to time.

Bisch
                              I sure would like to see the difference of those two different arrows shot into the barrel.

I just finished building a 760gr (11.01 gpp) 21% foc arrow for my bow. I'll probably get it shot sometime this afternoon.

Rick

Comment

Confidence is as big a part of the equation as all the other factors!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X