Questions For Those That Have Been To Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smb250 View Post
    Ok guys. This is where I am at. Have I forgot anything?
    Dates set with outfitter
    Plane tickets booked
    Travel insurance is done
    Global Rescue is done
    Dip and Pack shipper contacted and papers done so I am in system
    Import agent contacted and papers started with them
    Power adapter is bought
    Taking a rifle. Paper work in Riflepermits hands all ready
    Up on Tetanus shots
    Meds from dr taken care of.

What major may I have missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “Dip and Pack shipper contacted and papers done so I am in system
    Import agent contacted and papers started with them”
    I have not done this is this something that has to be done??

Comment

Would anyone on here be going out of Houston or Atlanta around June 7th?

I'm headed from Houston to Atlanta non-stop to Joberg on June 9th, let me know if you need anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post

From what I hear it can be done after the hunt. But the taxidermist I am using suggested doing it ahead of time so that they are aware of your hunt and can have certain papers already completed

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          I'm headed from Houston to Atlanta non-stop to Joberg on June 9th, let me know if you need anything.

Will do. I fly out on June 6. Leave Joburg June 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
            Change rifle out for bow. [emoji6]

Wish I could. Shoulder and back wont let me pull over 55lbs. Said to low poundage for some animals. So 375 HH going [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
              you can do it later. In fact, I went last July. Had some tanning done there so it took a while. I recently got notification my trophies were ready to ship. I was going to use a Taxi that would act as the import agent and pick up for me (I've done it with other taxis in the past). However, this particular taxi wasn't responsive and the Dip and Ship couldn't get what they needed from him so I went ahead and hired Coppersmith to do it for me. No issues. My trophies are now on their way.

I didn't even contact Coppersmith until my trophies were ready to be loaded on a truck and sent to the airport in Jo'berg. (7 months after my trip)

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                What is form 4457 for?
                US customs firearms owner certificate so you can bring your guns back into the country.

Comment

Wish I could. Shoulder and back wont let me pull over 55lbs. Said to low poundage for some animals. So 375 HH going [emoji6]
                  I don't mean to de-rail the thread, but just out of curiosity, which animals did they say/suggest that 55# is too low of a draw weight, to hunt with?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                    I don't mean to de-rail the thread, but just out of curiosity, which animals did they say/suggest that 55# is too low of a draw weight, to hunt with?
                    actually, I didn't catch that. Good question. I've seen plenty of women and kids in camp who were shooting less than that with no issues. Maybe not an Eland, but I've seen them shoot Wildebeest, Gemsbok, etc....

Comment

Dfw

From what I hear it can be done after the hunt. But the taxidermist I am using suggested doing it ahead of time so that they are aware of your hunt and can have certain papers already completed

The dip and ship company said “the consignment will be sent to Dallas Airport” does this mean I need an agent that works there?
                      Suggestion?

We leave DFW on Aug 18th

Comment

Lots of your questions and other helpful hints have been given. Enjoy your trip, listen to your PH and take plenty of pics and perhaps a journal to jot down notes and things that happen or that you see. If at all possible, get all your adventures and shots/recoveries on video. those are great to go back and watch.

Good luck, shoot straight and looking forward to your stories and LDP's. I have been 3 times and I am far from being done! Hunting Africa will get into your blood and it is virtually impossible to resist the urge once you get back!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post

I have impala, warthog, springbok, blesbok, gemsbock, kudu, blue wildbeest and eland on my menu. If I get lucky. Didnt want to sit in a blind or hide either and to old and big to try spot and stalk with a bow. Most of all I had a 375hh that needs to be shot some [emoji6]

Comment

I have never been, this will be my first trip unexpectedly. I won a trip with Bos en Dal Safaris. Adding a few days and some animals of course. Dates are set for June.
                            I dont even have a passport!!
                            I have been reading and trying to get things i need done asap in order.
                            Any advise for first timers?

I use a CPAP. Bad sleep apnea. Has anyone traveled with theres to Africa? Or is it best to learn to sleep without for the trip?

Would anyone on here be going out of Houston or Atlanta around June 7th?

If bow hunting, DO NOT go thru Amsterdam. Arrow tips of any kind are not allowed in Amsterdam.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangefinder View Post
                              Get Global Rescue and Global entry.

Can you please explain what this is, how it works, and approx cost? Thanks

Comment

This is my first trip to Africa gobel rescue is like care flight here if you need it they will come it was $119 for 7 days as for gobel entry is a pre screen at the airport helps you get though security and customs a lot faster it was $100.

Comment

Working...
                                X