Help, smoking Pork shoulder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, smoking Pork shoulder question

I’m cooking a pork shoulder it weighs around 7.25 pounds. All the recipes I’ve found say cook it 8 hours or until it hits 190. Well mine has been on the egg for 3 hours now and it’s already at 131, the egg has been holding steady between 250-260. Yes I’m cooking indirect heat with the egg deal. Is it gonna hit a stall or is it just cooking pretty fast? Never smoked anything in the egg before. Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Williams4298; 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM.

You'll slow down a lot with a good heavy marbled butt. I wouldn't worry about it. Just let it take it's time.

Also 190 may not be the ideal number for that particular butt. It's more of a guideline. Look for cracking fat across the back and a very loose bone when twisting. When you see those indicators you're golden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Im not expert but from my limited experience it’s going to stall in a bit. I seem to remember it stalling around 160.

Comment

I have a primo and I found I like my butts cooked around the 275 mark and my briskets 225. Pork butt is a great piece to start on it has a lot of fat and a lot of forgiveness on temps. Just stay on course if you are nervous just close the Daisy wheel a smidge and I mean a frogs hair. Oh my temps I use are grill not domb

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          Im not expert but from my limited experience it’s going to stall in a bit. I seem to remember it stalling around 160.
          This.. Briskets do the same thing.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

I do mine on the egg to 170, then wrap and continue to 203. It will take a while to get from 131 to the higher temps. Seems to crawl sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m at 162 now planning on wrapping around 170-175. It is starting slow down a hair. My daisy wheel on top is almost closed just a small gap on top and the bottom vent is about 1/4 of the way open. Thanks for all the help guys! Also do y’all let it rest in a cooler or do y’all eat it right after it comes off?

Comment

Always let it rest. Mine sit around for an hour before breaking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
                  I’m at 162 now planning on wrapping around 170-175. It is starting slow down a hair. My daisy wheel on top is almost closed just a small gap on top and the bottom vent is about 1/4 of the way open. Thanks for all the help guys! Also do y’all let it rest in a cooler or do y’all eat it right after it comes off?
                  Wait a bit? Never been able to make myself wait--

Comment

Just pulled it off to wrap it. Had a couple pieces flake off so I did what any guy would do and tried it. It was pretty da*n good! Has a nice bark and good smoke flavor! Hoping i hit a home run with it on the first try! The meat is starting to pull away from the bone but it’s still holding on pretty firm. How long do y’all leave it on the egg wrapped up for? I’m thinking roughly another hour to hour and half?

Comment

Time is merely a scattershooting guideline. It's done when the internal temps says it done. I have found that the BGE, UDS and WSM style verticals smokers cook meat a little quicker than an offset.... I'm assuming due to a more direct type heat.

Sounds like you are moving along fine. If you want to pull it, I would push it to 200. 190 is not enough in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Time is merely a scattershooting guideline. It's done when the internal temps says it done. I have found that the BGE, UDS and WSM style verticals smokers cook meat a little quicker than an offset.... I'm assuming due to a more direct type heat.

Sounds like you are moving along fine. If you want to pull it, I would push it to 200. 190 is not enough in my opinion.
                        Thanks smart, yeah I’m wanting to pull it so I’ll push it up to 200. Just finished up wrapping it, put some apple juice in the bottom to help with moisture.

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
                          Thanks smart, yeah I’m wanting to pull it so I’ll push it up to 200. Just finished up wrapping it, put some apple juice in the bottom to help with moisture.
                          Sounds like you are on you way to some good eats...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Sounds like you are on you way to some good eats...

Yes! Need pics, please sir!!!

Comment

Sounds like you're on your way. Make sure you actually wait to get to 200. I've gotten impatient at 190~ and its fine for sliced, but perfect pulled pork is at 200.

Comment

Working...
                              X