No announcement yet.

20 Guage Slugs for Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole shotgun slug business is funky.

I have a cheap Mossberg 20 with modified choke tubes and a 2.5 Weaver that shoots one hole groups at 100 yards with the slugger high velocitys. I can’t even get that out of my Savage 220 Stainless Laminate with any sabot slug.

You really can’t go on a recommendation, you have to try several.

Comment

Ah yes, a slug question. Welcome to the awesome world of chucking massive chunks of lead on game.

Slugs can be extremely accurate out to 300 yards. There’s a YouTube video of three guys using the same gun (Savage 220) and the same type slug (3” remmy accutips) and all shot and killed deer at 300 yards.

The drawback from shooting slugs is they can be expensive, especially shooting sabot slugs(pronounced ‘say-bow’).

I have 5 dedicated slug guns:

-835 fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount
      -HR Ultra Slug hunter in 12 ga
      -HR Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 ga
      -savage 220
      -Maverick 88 slugger (smoothbore)

In terms of rifled barrel, they all shoot different slugs better than the next, however, I have found the most consistent accuracy with Remington Accutips, both 3” and 2.75”, depending on the gun.

Ive heard a lot about Hornady SST sabots, but NONE of my guns shoot them well. My 220 can’t hold 10” at 50 yards, so I say clear of them. They may work for you, though.

I reload 99% of my slugs these days. I found I can tailor many different slug loads with multiple guns cheaper and with the same, or better accuracy, in some cases.

I would start with Remington Accutips. Chances are, you won’t depart from them. Buy a couple of 3” and 2.75” slugs and give them a whirl. For example, the Savage 220 was designed to be used with 3” Accutips, but mine shoots 2.75” a little better.

I have a Facebook page on buckshot and Slug reloading of you every want to step to the dark side. It’s really not that hard and a lot of the groundwork has been done by slug chuckers like myself who can steer you on the right path. We’re also sponsored by Ballistic Products which cuts us a deal on shipping when ordering from them:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, stay clear of Foster style slugs (rifled slugs) with rifled barrels. They are designed for smoothbore barrels and will do nothing for accuracy and they will lead your barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
          Ah yes, a slug question. Welcome to the awesome world of chucking massive chunks of lead on game.

Slugs can be extremely accurate out to 300 yards. There’s a YouTube video of three guys using the same gun (Savage 220) and the same type slug (3” remmy accutips) and all shot and killed deer at 300 yards.

The drawback from shooting slugs is they can be expensive, especially shooting sabot slugs(pronounced ‘say-bow’).

I have 5 dedicated slug guns:

-835 fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount
          -HR Ultra Slug hunter in 12 ga
          -HR Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 ga
          -savage 220
          -Maverick 88 slugger (smoothbore)

In terms of rifled barrel, they all shoot different slugs better than the next, however, I have found the most consistent accuracy with Remington Accutips, both 3” and 2.75”, depending on the gun.

Ive heard a lot about Hornady SST sabots, but NONE of my guns shoot them well. My 220 can’t hold 10” at 50 yards, so I say clear of them. They may work for you, though.

I reload 99% of my slugs these days. I found I can tailor many different slug loads with multiple guns cheaper and with the same, or better accuracy, in some cases.

I would start with Remington Accutips. Chances are, you won’t depart from them. Buy a couple of 3” and 2.75” slugs and give them a whirl. For example, the Savage 220 was designed to be used with 3” Accutips, but mine shoots 2.75” a little better.

I have a Facebook page on buckshot and Slug reloading of you every want to step to the dark side. It’s really not that hard and a lot of the groundwork has been done by slug chuckers like myself who can steer you on the right path. We’re also sponsored by Ballistic Products which cuts us a deal on shipping when ordering from them:

This is great. Thanks for the info. I know my gun and scope are not the best but it is all I can afford and I am hard on equipment. It's good for me. My plan was to sight it in using 2 3/4" Rem Accutips. Will 2 3/4 kill deer and hogs effectively? Is there any advantage of 3" over 2 3/4?
          Last edited by U.S.ArmyRetired; 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Only real advantage is if your gun happens to like the 2-3/4" over the 3". Of the slug guns I own, I have a H&R USH that is like that. It preffers the 2-3/4 over the 3" of the same type/brand. I have another that has a 3-1/2": chamber. But dose well with a different brand in 3".

Accutips are a good starting point for a riffled barrel. But don't be afraid to try other brands and loads too. You never know if you'll get better accuracy out of it till you try something else too. Kinda like people that like different foods, every gun is different. And likes a certain kind better than the others. A general diet of some foods can provide good results by many. But there are some who do better with certain foods than what is served to many.

Slugs ain't cheap either. But what do you want? A gun that shoots lights out to it's max potential? Or just a "so so" shooter? So step beyond and try many. And keep records of what you try.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-12-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Only real advantage is if your gun happens to like the 2-3/4" over the 3". Of the slug guns I own, I have a H&R USH that is like that. It preffers the 2-3/4 over the 3" of the same type/brand. I have another that has a 3-1/2": chamber. But dose well with a different brand in 3".

Accutips are a good starting point for a riffled barrel. But don't be afraid to try other brands and loads too. You never know if you'll get better accuracy out of it till you try something else too. Kinda like people that like different foods, every gun is different. And likes a certain kind better than the others. A general diet of some foods can provide good results by many. But there are some who do better with certain foods than what is served to many.

Slugs ain't cheap either. But what do you want? A gun that shoots lights out to it's max potential? Or just a "so so" shooter? So step beyond and try many. And keep records of what you try.
              Thanks. My goal is to be able to put down a deer or hog at 100 yds. If 2 3/4 will get that done without tearing my shoulder apart, that will be great.

Comment

There is no game in North America that a 20 ya accutips won’t take down out to 100 yards. Even further on deer sized game.

There’s an old wives tale in the slug world that says if your chamber is 3”, then 3” shells are more accurate due to less “jump” the slug makes to the lands and grooves. Like Texasbound stated, I too have prove that theory wrong countless times.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                  There is no game in North America that a 20 ya accutips won’t take down out to 100 yards. Even further on deer sized game.

There’s an old wives tale in the slug world that says if your chamber is 3”, then 3” shells are more accurate due to less “jump” the slug makes to the lands and grooves. Like Texasbound stated, I too have prove that theory wrong countless times.

Thanks brother. Sending you a pm.

Comment

Returned

Comment

I have always liked the hornady sst slugs but would recommend the advice given above. Each gun is different. Buy a few different brands and see what your gun shoots best.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

No problem with Slugs game mentioned...What ever shoots well in your gun...Make sure you got plenty long eye relief on scope...or you will get shooters cresent above eye..The recoil from those 3"slugs from a bench can be eye opening and closeing..

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                            No problem with Slugs game mentioned...What ever shoots well in your gun...Make sure you got plenty long eye relief on scope...or you will get shooters cresent above eye..The recoil from those 3"slugs from a bench can be eye opening and closeing..
                            Going with 2 3/4 for that reason.

Comment

So Ballistic Products are selling demilled Federal Trophy Copper sabots, Hydro-shok and Truball Foster slugs for your own reloading. I loaded up some using 25 grs of Unique and got a velocity of 1450 with outstanding accuracy and recoil less than a 20 ga slug. I’ll post the link to the vid I did later.

Comment

I would get some of these from bloodtrail http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=hagerman+hog

Comment

Working...
                                X