No announcement yet.

Draw Hunt Analysis 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My analysis is a lot simpler... I put in a bunch and get drawn zero.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
      My analysis is a lot simpler... I put in a bunch and get drawn zero.
      Ha. almost the same as mine!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        Ha. almost the same as mine!! Lol
        I actually got drawn for archery deer at granger in 2012 but couldn't make it due to starting a new job the same day as the first day of the hunt. that was the first time I've been drawn since i was 14 at pedernales falls and I'm 31 now.

Comment

Originally posted by toddamusj View Post
          I didn't know that about stand bys. Where is that on the site? I've poured over it and I've never read that. The FAQs say standbys may be available if all hunt positions are available, but I always assumed no shows forfeited their hunt position. Is that not true?
          Not true. Got drew on a hunt some years back. Called ahead and informed them I wouldn't make it for the noon orientation, but would be there. After I showed up, they informed me then that they could not give my spot away since I already paid for the permit. Now, if I called them and told them I was not coming at all, then they could, but they said they would be reluctant to do so because they really don't know who is on the other end of the phone.
          As far as stand by, best thing to do is call the area couple days before the hunt. They will usually tell you if they have any stand by's available. I have hunted stand by several times.

Comment

I didn't know that about stand bys. Where is that on the site? I've poured over it and I've never read that. The FAQs say standbys may be available if all hunt positions are available, but I always assumed no shows forfeited their hunt position. Is that not true?
            Nope. This happened one year a matador, remembr a couple guys that drove all the way from houston to standby, boy were they p!ssed when chip told them he wouldn't give the no shows permits to standbys and sent them packing.
            Last edited by bossbowman; 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              Nope. This happened one year a matador, remembr a couple guys that drove all the way from houston to standby, boy were they p!ssed when chip told them he wouldn't give the no shows permits to standbys and sent them packing.
              Just as well. There are no deer at Matador.

Comment

Tagged for later

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting. Good to know. I hate to be like those guys from Houston. That would suck.

Comment

I'll say this, at least for alligator, I used to be able to go standby and get to hunt pretty much every time. In the last two years, I don't think JD Murphry has taken a single standby hunter. This is partly due to the second chance drawing, but I also think they use that as an excuse to take fewer hunters, thus less work for the staff.

Comment

Interesting. Good to know. I hate to be like those guys from Houston. That would suck.
                      That's why you call a couple days before the hunt. Every time I've called about a hunt, I was always told how many spots were available. Keep in mind though, say they tell you there are 2 spots, there may be 20 people show up for those 2 spots.

Comment

Standby

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                        Just as well. There are no deer at Matador.
                        Yep no deer there, when I drew w/ bud we got first pick on compartment,yea. there were 4 0r 5 guys, some locals, 2 got standby to hunt where there is no deer, either SEX, LOL oh well, think that may be called hiking, ha.

Comment

Does anyone know if any of the draw hunts are more handicapped hunter friendly, than others? I would hate to draw and not be able to participate

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                            Does anyone know if any of the draw hunts are more handicapped hunter friendly, than others? I would hate to draw and not be able to participate
                            On the hunt description, they list "hunt method". It will either be by assigned blind or by compartment. As a general rule, the assigned blind hunts will be more handicapped friendly because there is a blind ready for you. That said, several of the compartment style hunts accommodated handicapped hunters by allowing them to hunt from an offroad vehicle. The best thing to do is call the number listed for the individual hunt area and ask direct. I'd be willing to bet that most of them will make accommodations unless it is impossible for the area.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X