No announcement yet.

Lease Ride Upgrade - Jeep Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good, keep it up. Seeing you do this motivates me to get back on my old truck project. It's just so freakin' hot right now....and my garage does not have air conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
      Looking good, keep it up. Seeing you do this motivates me to get back on my old truck project. It's just so freakin' hot right now....and my garage does not have air conditioning.
      Thanks QB! I hear ya on the no air conditioning.. we're that way too. Ugh! Didn't plan on it being a summer project but we got delayed for a few months getting started. Man, just lay out a plan for that old truck and start chipping away at it!

Comment

A few weeks ago we had a heck of a weekend working on the Comanche! We did so much prep, had snags and issues along the way with equipment or running out of abrasive media and many other things. However we kicked butt on the moderate rust removal and prevention!

We used a 40lb pressure blaster with 2 compressors T'd together, black diamond coal slag media, Texas July heat, humidity and rain is perfect for long sleeves covered by a dust suit and blasting hood. Nnnnt! The hood was terrible so i upgraded to a carhartt heavy shirt wrapped around my head. My brother and i blasted about 80% off and we ran out of media. Total hack job with newbies running the blaster.. self admitted..lol! It worked pretty good though! We brought it back into the garage and continued with an array of wire wheels.

We prepped for paint and had this weird gunk that rose to the surface of the metal, alcohol in a spray bottle and a rag would kinda get it off, i went to grab another spray bottle and found one that had white vinegar in it, i tried that and that gunk just wiped off smooth.. then we're noticed the frame was turning gold.. it was the weirdest thing. I quickly made a spray bottle of baking soda and water and doused it with that to neutralize. Then we hand washed with soap and water and then pressure washed.. it got some of the gold off but it was on there big time so we alcoholed again and started painting.

We used rustoleum pro rusty metal primer. That stuff is awesome! Check out some of the pics below!

Comment

Had some time and put a coat of paint on the rear frame.. even got my mom to jump in and help! Trudie's a painting supa star!

Comment

Got the axle out today, springs and sand blasted and painted the gas tank straps and emergency brake bracket

Comment

Nice. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

Comment

I've got one I'm working on myself. 93 Toyota pickup

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                  We found the remaining master cylinder line from a Cherokee and got it installed and that finishes the load sensing valve delete project!

Then we rolled out into the driveway and pressure washed the junk and gunk off the frame so we can get started with rust prevention.

Looking Great! One thing Safety Glasses brother. Your only have one set of eyes..

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                    Looking Great! One thing Safety Glasses brother. Your only have one set of eyes..
                    Thanks for the heads up man, never thought about it for pressure washing but i always put them on anytime i get under the truck, use air tools or a grinder comes out. I'll def take your advice while using the p washer too.. thanks for looking out!

Comment

Originally posted by jivey_21 View Post
                      I've got one I'm working on myself. 93 Toyota pickup
                      Awesome dude! Love those old Toyotas too!

Comment

I'm following....good DIY project! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by LennyWayne View Post
                          I'm following....good DIY project! Keep up the good work!
                          Thanks LennyWayne! It'll take a few months with a jammed work schedule and work travel but we have a pretty good plan worked out.. I've already learned again that rust is devilish.. ugh.. so tough to deal with!

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                            Nice. I can’t wait to see the finished product!
                            Thanks AMK! It'll prolly be a few months.. it's the hope of it being pretty awesome keeps me motivated!

Comment

Worked on the rear end this weekend and made some good progress. My brother stepped up big, helping me rebuild calipers for the ford 8.8, changed wheel bearings and seals and then... he smoked some amazing pork ribs!

All the while i was a machine.. grinding rust from the spring packs, then clean and then paint.. over and over again. It was brutal hot and humid but we got em all done and painted. Heres a few pics from Sat and Sunday..

Next up: need hardware for the spring pack
                              Gear oil and friction modifier
                              Mock up the axle and tack on the spring perches

Comment

Nice work, looks fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X