No announcement yet.

Wisdom teeth. Keep or remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had mine out at 21. they hurt so bad I was taking pain pills like candy. My entire headhurt, mostly my ears. As much as my jaws hurt after surgery, the pressure was gone, and it hurt less than it did prior. Ate soup for several days, got off the pain meds.

My jaws hurt for several days after surgery, I think from them jacking the jaw so wide for access, and cutting the teeth out isn't very far from the joint.

Comment

I tried to keep mine as long as possible. My dentist basically told me that if they weren’t bothering me to just leave them in and see how they progressed. Well they eventually just stayed halfway protruded and started bugging me trying to brush them. Got them pulled with no issues and was eating chips the next day.

Comment

I kept mine in for a long time. They rarely caused pain, but I was getting upper jaw pain and thought it was my wisdom teeth. Turns out it was from my chronic sinus infections.

The flip side of not having your wisdom teeth removed is they are extremely hard to brush, and will most likely get cavities. I had holes in mine.

I also believe they caused my teeth to go crooked over the years. My front bottom teeth used to be straight and pretty. Now they’re all staggered and pretty crooked.

I know it’s probably one of the most useless dental procedures out there because you can keep them and never have a problem, but I feel better now not having mine it. My mouth doesn’t feel as crowded.
        Last edited by 12RingKing; 06-18-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I had mine taken out on my lunch break and then went back to work. Get those suckers pulled and be done with it

Comment

Join the Military. Free Haircut and all four Wisdom Teeth removed.

BTDT

Comment

The USAF want to take mine out so they could get practice back in '89. I told them no thanks and still haven't had issues.

Comment

I had all 4 removed at age 33 at the recommendation of a new dentist without a 2nd opinion.

My lower left lip and chin have been hypersensitive ever since.
                Nerve damage. I cannot chew on left side due shooting pulses that feel like numbness into my chin.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                    I have extraction scheduled for June 24th. Was told 17 yes ago to leave them that they weren't bothering anything and plenty room to come in. Well they are all in and 1 is perfect up and down. All others are sideways pushing on my molars. I did have pain about 3 wks ago on one of them. Not so much the tooth but the gum around the tooth. Based on X-Rays everything looked good but the gum line. I'm 33 and have 32 teeth in my mouth. Dentists said they all look good however he wants to remove my wisdoms. I sometimes think it's just a way for them to make some money. I went ahead and scheduled the extraction however I am debating on whether or not to proceed. In reality I will probably get it over with now while I have insurance that covers it 100%.
                    If you have medical and dental insurance you might want to see which will cover it. My bottom WT were impacted and the top 2 were protruding the gum. Dental covered the top and Medical covered the bottom. I had 9 kinds of heck getting the medical to pay because they said Dental should take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                      If you have medical and dental insurance you might want to see which will cover it. My bottom WT were impacted and the top 2 were protruding the gum. Dental covered the top and Medical covered the bottom. I had 9 kinds of heck getting the medical to pay because they said Dental should take care of it.
                      My dental covered it all. Office sent it in and I owe $1 for for one thing. Scheduled to go in on Monday.

Comment

Heed their warnings about the broken jaw deal. Buddy of mine had the same thing done earlier this year and his jaw broke a couple weeks later while eating.

I had mine pulled about 10 years ago and it was super easy. All I remember is talking to the doc about fishing then getting wheeled out the back door. Never had any pain to speak of.

Comment

Mine weren't an issue when I had them pulled, they were not growing in at all, I was 20 at the time. I just went ahead and had them pulled then instead of waiting till later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                            Heed their warnings about the broken jaw deal. Buddy of mine had the same thing done earlier this year and his jaw broke a couple weeks later while eating.

I had mine pulled about 10 years ago and it was super easy. All I remember is talking to the doc about fishing then getting wheeled out the back door. Never had any pain to speak of.

Hmm. I would be super high risk for broken jaw with all the food I shovel down my throat.

Comment

Same story as most here, When I was in my 20s dentist said they were laying on their side and not to worry about them, now 46 and both sides have developed what they call "skin flaps" where the skin over the wisdom teeth has ruptured. I brush my teeth multiple times a day but once in a while a piece of food gets stuck in there...Instant infection within a day and then I can barely open my mouth for a few days.

Dentist says at my age its a risky venture to remove them because of potential nerve damage. Life sucks when you cant open your mouth to eat..

Comment

Well, asking for your prayers. I prayed about it, prayed for the doctor's hands, but I can't shake the anxiety. I know this is the best decision, just hate the 20% possibility I permanently lose feeling in my lip the rest of my life. Please pray for me.

Surgery tomorrow at 10:15 a.m. Let's make the most out of it and have a live-recovery-from-oral-surgery-thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X