GMC 6.2L half ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    And I don't care how much boost you stuff in a 3.5 liter V6, it just won't perform like a big V8.....YET!
    Change that "V" to an "I", and it probably would. I've missed Ford's 300ci I6 engine from the 90's. It's what I grew up around, and those little half tons would haul some weight. I couldn't imagine one with a turbo system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
      Yeah...no idea where the premium idea comes from. 80k miles and mine has never seen the first drop of premium.
      It's in the manual, but I didn't see it until I had around 50k miles on mine running regular but now I add premium some of the times.

To the OP it will pull anything you want to but just remember it's still has a 1/2 ton suspension so the 15,000 rating maybe a little sketchy. I pulled a 10k TT from Burnet to Baytown and on to Pineland with out any issues. I could only tell it was there if I got some cross wind but as far as the power it pulled almost as good as diesel.

Comment

I haven't found one yet who did more than pull a ranger or a super heavy load of stuff from Target twice a week.

I've heard of 3 catastrophic engine failures, and a bunch of "condensation issues" or some such...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Standby, someone will be along to tell you the eco will pull a house down and get 37 mpg on unicorn urine

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
          Gear ratio has just as much to do with towing ability than displacement.....

Bingo!

Comment

I had a 2015 GMC with the 6.2 I loved the power of the truck and would get 16MPG average with around 20 on long HWY trip. At 12k miles my torque converter went out. This concerned me but I let it go. Then at 19k I was pulling into to Zapata Tx and my transmission locked into 2nd gear. I got it fixed and traded it in. I just couldnt trust it on my out of town trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
              I had a 2015 GMC with the 6.2 I loved the power of the truck and would get 16MPG average with around 20 on long HWY trip. At 12k miles my torque converter went out. This concerned me but I let it go. Then at 19k I was pulling into to Zapata Tx and my transmission locked into 2nd gear. I got it fixed and traded it in. I just couldnt trust it on my out of town trips.
              The only GM product I've ever owned was a lemon. 1994 Silverado single cab 4x4. Bought it the day I got out of boot camp. It had 18 miles on it at purchase and less than 5k when I dropped off the keys.

That is my only fear of going back to GM. Ford's have always been good to me.

Comment

The 6.2 makes 460 ft lbs of torque @ 4,100 rpm, while the Ecoboost makes 470 lb. ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm.
                The Ecoboost makes most of its power at lower rpm. Which should make it tow better.
                The 17 3.5 Ecoboost has been redesigned, so who knows what the reliability will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                  The only GM product I've ever owned was a lemon. 1994 Silverado single cab 4x4. Bought it the day I got out of boot camp. It had 18 miles on it at purchase and less than 5k when I dropped off the keys.

I bought at 2016 F150 its my first Ford and I am very pleased with it actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post

I have 50,000 miles on my 2015 3.5 Ecoboost and love it. I tow my 5-6000 lb Seahunt with it and it is impressive. I also have a 36 ft Wildwood park model that is super heavy 7000 plus and it pulls it well as also.

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that Chevy's are crap. I have known lots of people that have had good experience. My GF's dad buys a new one every three years (he has a car allowance from work) and they have been good trucks. We towed our boat with his Tahoe a couple years ago and it was fine.

This thread has came down to a lot of ignorant brand loyalty. I chose the Ford when I was buying because it had the bigger and better interior. The only two engines I considered were the 6.2 Chevy and 3.5 Eco. The 3.5 Eco and 6.2 are nearly equal at sea level but at altitude the Eco has a clear advantage and I elk hunt at least once and sometimes twice a year.

Both of them would and do tow very well. If you need to pull a gooseneck flatbed with a dozer on it get a dually. If you like me routinely pull 6-8k pounds you should probably make your decision on something other than what a fanboy on the internet says.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Whatever. If you saw the first chart I posted you can see how the mighty 6.2 only fared slightly better than the 5.0 towing up a 7% grade for 8 miles. And the Hemi kicked all their asses.

The 6.2 is a great engine but it's not the end all.

The Ecoboost WILL tow better than the 5.0.

I am waiting to see how the more powerful 2017 Ecoboost does with the new 10 speed transmission up the Ike gauntlet. I suspect it's going to blow away all of the other 1/2 tons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you believe what people that have owned a ecoboost and a 6.2 have to say about the comparison of the two trucks or are you stuck on that stat sheet review? Real world side by side comparisons tend to work better than a stat sheet but of course people lie a lot!

I can't see a v6 outlasting a 405hp v8 in a towing life of a truck comparison. I'm sure there is a stat sheet review somewhere that proves them close on that subject too. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                        Change that "V" to an "I", and it probably would. I've missed Ford's 300ci I6 engine from the 90's. It's what I grew up around, and those little half tons would haul some weight. I couldn't imagine one with a turbo system as well.
                        My dad still has an '87 extended cab with the 300ci I6...I want to buy it and rebuild it some day. I love that old truck...lots of great memories of fishing and hunting trips in that truck. And it's a beast!!

Comment

I can see where the GM will get better fuel mileage once it gets 50K miles on it. The alternator won't be dragging the engine down that much because of all the broken electrical parts.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                            Do you believe what people that have owned a ecoboost and a 6.2 have to say about the comparison of the two trucks or are you stuck on that stat sheet review? Real world side by side comparisons tend to work better than a stat sheet but of course people lie a lot!

I can't see a v6 outlasting a 405hp v8 in a towing life of a truck comparison. I'm sure there is a stat sheet review somewhere that proves them close on that subject too. Lol.

You're a GM fanboy and that's ok. I posted that up for reference only. There's plenty of other info out there comparing them if you'd take the time to get your head out of GMs butt long enough to look yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I wish one of them would turbo a 5.3 or 5.4 liter V8 as an option for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Seems like a better option than the little diesels that do t seem to be catching on very well.

Comment

I wish one of them would turbo a 5.3 or 5.4 liter V8 as an option for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Seems like a better option than the little diesels that do t seem to be catching on very well.

Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X