No announcement yet.

How do you move away from "home"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have up rooted my family twice now. The one key thing with me is that I had a job before I moved. On another note she said she ain't moving anymore lol.

Comment

Derek, I completely understand where you are coming from. I joined the military out of HS and went to San Diego, Vietnam, then Florida. We were more than ready to come back home after seeing the flakes in Cali, the cong in Nam, and the hippies in Fla. B/CS is our hometown(s), but they have changed so drastically over the years...and not for the good. All the **** apartments, crowded streets with 16-22 year old clowns that can't drive or have no fear of killing themselves or others, and I can go on. I've thought about moving farther out (out of Brazos County) but at our age, I'm not sure we would survive it. Plus, we need to be near healthcare.

Don't wait too long as it is only getting worse in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
        I love to travel and do a lot of it. However I've lived in the same area my whole life. I'm well connected here and established. After seeing different parts of the state and country I've realized I live in a very "blaaaaaa" part of Texas. No salt water, no hills/mountains, no clear water, no exotics, no views that make you stop and thank God he has allowed you to experience this spot, no turkey, 1 deer that made the 13" rule since it was instated......how does one just up and move away?

I grew up in Beaumont Texas and moved to Phoenix Arizona at 20 years old with no job.

The reason I moved was I met a really hot 22 year old bi-sexual chick while she was doing an internship at Lamar and we dated 11 months before she moved to Phoenix and I followed like a whipped puppy. I thought I would stay in the valley because I loved it and it was now Home! Then I met another chick and I moved to Charlotte NC.

I now live in Baton Rouge and can you guess why I moved here?

You know that saying that “something” will make you drive a long way? I’m the poster child for that[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
          I moved away from home when I left high school and have been trying to find a way to get back there ever since.
          Living in a small town myself, I see this all the time!!! Whether soon or at the end of their working life. Back to the small town life

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Comment

Moved away from home (Temple) in 1971 to go to college, got married in 73 and moved to Lubbock in 1975. Been here ever since unfortunately, but will be here a while longer. 5 1/2 hours from the parents and they really do not like it, but we do.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
              Man I wish I liked to fish, because EC ain’t bad if you like to do that kinda stuff. But this place is torture for someone who likes rocky soil, hills, oaks, and axis!
              Learn to fish and like it lol. We'll take you.

Probably should have a beer at Greek's and talk about it

Comment

There's no way I'd move out of Texas. There isn't a high enough paying job.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Florida keys.
                  Are you talking about Key West?

Not a bad place, if you like fishing and walking around in flip-flops 12 months a year. Some people down there don't even OWN a coat. Tradeoffs, though:

- Lots of liberals. The whole LGBT thing, big time. Check this out: https://www.gaytravel.com/gay-guides/key-west/
                  - Not much in the way of beaches. Although it's an ocean community, it really has no beaches to speak of, which surprises many people.
                  - Understandably, real estate is uber expensive. Look for a little 2 bedroom fixer-upper for 300K-400K and up.

But I hear you. I love Texas with all my heart, but when I go up into some of the magnificent Rocky Mountain country, or the vast deserts of the west, I sometimes start thinking..........

Comment

One of the things I am noticing about the younger folks is the lack of "sense of adventure". I find that now when I try to hire people from the lower 48 to come up here(Alaska). We offer moving expenses, full benefits, retirement and extremely good wages. My lifeguards start at almost $19/hr for example. Many times I have people answer job ads, interview, accept an offer then back out when the reality of moving hits them.

I understand moving to the 49th state may seem intimidating, but you're just talking about moving across the state or states, I don't get it. You're young, take a chance man!

I moved from Michigan to Texas in 2008. I was a Parks and Recreation Director for 20 years in Michigan and ran a part time taxidermy business. I wanted a change so I went to work for a taxidermist in SA(Anyone remember that thief/liar Randy Cadwallader from Broadway Lockers?). That fell apart and I went to work for Mesquite Creek in Pearsall, then on to the 777 Ranch. In 2012, I left Texas to Idaho to buy out a taxidermy business. He backed out of the deal and left me high and dry so to speak. So in fall of 2012 I moved to Alaska and now only do taxidermy part time, but work in the Recreation Field full time again.

I did all this in my late 40's and early 50's. I have kids 4 and 10 and step kids 21 and 27. It was hard on the older kids but the young ones didn't know any better. My wife found good friends and except for the dark days of winter( light at 10am, dark at 4pm) shes fine.

You will only know if you try. Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you fail but you need to try. Too many people are afraid to try something new and miss out on what life has to offer.

I wish I had made this jump long ago.

Hugh

Comment

I love to travel and do a lot of it. However I've lived in the same area my whole life. I'm well connected here and established. After seeing different parts of the state and country I've realized I live in a very "blaaaaaa" part of Texas. No salt water, no hills/mountains, no clear water, no exotics, no views that make you stop and thank God he has allowed you to experience this spot, no turkey, 1 deer that made the 13" rule since it was instated......how does one just up and move away?

Pack yo ****, load the truck, put the hammer down. If I could break my **** wife away from the cesspool we live in I would have done it years ago.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If you gave me the state of Florida, I wouldn't leave Texas...even college station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his stuff into a truck. [emoji14]
                          -Mitch Hedberg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X