View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #86
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETXTransplant View Post
Ok after my first experience on the Aransas NWR on Rifle Hunt 2, I have the following findings:

1. If you didn't bring a Thermacell, I feel bad for you! With that and 25% DEET I still lost blood.
2. If you didn't bring a tripod stand you will be limited on good spots. I didn't have one.
3. Be prepared for wind shifts. on Sunday and Monday it swung from north to south depending on time of day.
4. Get as far from the road as possible. See item 2.

After all that I managed to get a smaller male hog. I am very happy to get that. I should've noted the status board but on the first day there were 67 hunters and only 5 deer taken, 2 bucks. I saw a massive hog trotting down the road near Cow Camp and a bobcat on scouting day. That was cool. All in all a cool experience but I won't go back until I get a tripod.
Different kind of hunting, ain't it? If you have never been there, your first trip, will basically be a scouting trip. Except for hogs, they can pop out anywhere any time. You might see some mosquitos also, some big enough to take down with your bow.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top