No announcement yet.

Who hunts with a .308?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used the Remington on SPS tactical for 7 years now running the Hornady 168 go Match AMAX. It has harvested many whitetail, 2 aoudads, red stag, fallow and black buck all one hitters.

This past season my daughter and niece both used it to take their first deer. They used the Hornady reduced recoil load 120 gr. I am pretty sure with this load the recoil is less than a 22-250. As well they both where 1 shot takes.

I think it is awesome for what I use it for.

Comment

Great round......short and long range.

Comment

.308 is my go to gun.

Comment

Winchester Super X 150gr. DPMS Sportical about a 100lb boar at about 50 yrds. This is the entry. Poor piggie thought he was in the clear when he bolted towards the brush. Dead before he hit the ground.
          In starting to like this round

Comment

Shot 308 for years but switched to 7m08
            Never looked back! All you need for deer in Texas and easy to handle !

Big fan of Remnington model Seven

Hand loaded for years!

Comment

I don't own one yet, but it's probably going to be the next gun I pick up for specific uses. The .308 has some advantages over other similar cartridges for a few things.

1. Delivering relatively large, heavy bullets at close range, like a 170-180 gr Partition where you want a deer down in thick brush.

2. Short barrels. The .308 doesn't lose much velocity going to a 20" or even shorter barrel, and the muzzle blast won't be as severe as many other Carbine length rifles.

3. Lightweight rifles for big game. I have zero interest in shooting a 6 lb .300 magnum, or shooting an elk with a .243. The .308 is a pretty decent middle ground between muzzle energy and recoil.

That's not to say that it won't do normal stuff like shooting a deer at 250 yards as well as anything else out there, they are just reasons I will be getting one. I've already got a .223, 6.5, and .30-06 so I don't really "need" anything more in terms of ballistics, it is the total package that makes it appealing.

Comment

It should be ok if you use a premium bullet, and only plan on shooting does at 50 yards and less. For any larger job, you may need to look into a 300 mag.

All kidding aside, it'll do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                  If I remember right I thought it looses quite a bit of energy past 300.. Punching paper would be different IMO..
                  I shot a 290 pig at 340ytd I shoot a 125 gr
                  Sierra out of mine complete pass through
                  And pig went 50-60yrds

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                    I don't own one yet, but it's probably going to be the next gun I pick up for specific uses. The .308 has some advantages over other similar cartridges for a few things.

1. Delivering relatively large, heavy bullets at close range, like a 170-180 gr Partition where you want a deer down in thick brush.

2. Short barrels. The .308 doesn't lose much velocity going to a 20" or even shorter barrel, and the muzzle blast won't be as severe as many other Carbine length rifles.

3. Lightweight rifles for big game. I have zero interest in shooting a 6 lb .300 magnum, or shooting an elk with a .243. The .308 is a pretty decent middle ground between muzzle energy and recoil.

That's not to say that it won't do normal stuff like shooting a deer at 250 yards as well as anything else out there, they are just reasons I will be getting one. I've already got a .223, 6.5, and .30-06 so I don't really "need" anything more in terms of ballistics, it is the total package that makes it appealing.
                    Ya know for not having one you pretty much nailed that

Comment

For a purely hunting rifle I'm not sure I'd own a 308 over 20".

Comment

I've used mine a couple of times and it definitely does the job, neither buck took another step. In my opinion it's a bit too much rifle for Texas unless you plan on taking long shots.

Comment

Shot 270win and 270wsm for years, bought myself a rem sps varmint 308 last year and only had the opportunity to kill some.pigs with it. Shot my largest buck to date with it this year DRT, I wanted a heavy barrel rifle for stand hunting but I didn't want a magnum load. I love the 308 don't think I'll go back to another caliber here in texas. Of and when I go back to the mountains I'll shoot my 7mm.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                            Not bad if you don't plan to shoot real far.. Only .308 I have is an ar but I only use it to pig hunt and coyote hunt..
                            I'll bet ya Carlos Hathcock (if he were still alive) and many other snipers would disagree. .308 is plenty in the hand of someone who knows how to shoot and has capable weaponry.

Comment

I used a .308 this year for the first time. We have been forced to use shotguns and muzzleloaders for deer up here until this season. I used hand loaded 150 grain SST's. both were pass thru shots. My youngest daughter used the same rifle but used Federal 150 grain soft points.
                              Four shots resulted in three dead deer and a log that was already dead��

Comment

They do a fine job on critters large and small.

This is one of my favorites - tree rat at 100

Comment

Working...
                                X