Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
    That guy you finished with was Barry Eaves. Hes a McKinney PD SWAT sniper thats 50 years old and has had 7 knee surgeries. Hes my brother in law.

Hes married to my 2nd oldest sister and Vince was married to my 3rd oldest sister.

I appreciate you guys coming out.

1369, I spent most of the day trying to read that label on your bag. I was near you most of the route.
    Shoulda said hey. The bib I carried was for my friend Kara. Her husband, Major Brett Niles, Airborne, Ranger, had his Demons get the best of him and took his own life last year. I asked Kara if she would let me and the Major train up for Bataan this year.

Also, one of my other teammates carried the name of the only Baytown police officer to be lost in the line of duty.

From my cousin-n-law:

That is awesome Ken. I have driven up to many injured peace officers, but Bobby I could not save with CPR. His chest was crushed and each one of my breaths into him would just gurgle and his chest was fractured from the steering wheel impact. the rim of the steering wheel was bent forward about 8 inches towards the dash on the steering column. He had been hit head on by a van that crossed four lanes of traffic driven by a drug dealer on probation that had been taking pain killers and washing them down with a gallon of whiskey. Thank you for honoring my brother and friend. Some of the officers I worked with are still there. David Alford is an assistant chief and most the others are supervisors.

Comment

[ATTACH]898274[/ATTACH]

Comment

Awesome job 1369!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          I was right at 3:45 for the course. I quickly dropped my 55# ruck, grabbed my 35# ruck, a chick-fil-a sandwich and a protien shake and reversed the course by about 1.5 miles. I saw you coming down the final 100yds but not sure if you recognized me. I finished for a second time at 4:40 with the final 2 fellas, one of whom turned out to be the brother-in-law of the officer whom the ruck was dedicated to. Total was 16 miles.

Glad I was finally able to shake hands with the rucking and hoolahoop posting, TBH legend

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
          Heh, I don’t know about legend stuff, but it was **** good to see you out there. Sorry about the finish, but I was kinda glad to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
            That guy you finished with was Barry Eaves. Hes a McKinney PD SWAT sniper thats 50 years old and has had 7 knee surgeries. Hes my brother in law.

Hes married to my 2nd oldest sister and Vince was married to my 3rd oldest sister.

I appreciate you guys coming out.

1369, I spent most of the day trying to read that label on your bag. I was near you most of the route.
            Yep, Barry and I chatted about our respective knee surgeries (he has 5 more than me.) It was a pleasure to walk with him and chat the last few miles. I know he was hurting, I knew he was going to finish though, so the best I could do was just be there.

Tell Barry one more time that I appreciate very much the work he and others do to keep us safe. And once again, my sincere condolences to your family.

God Bless,
            Scott

Comment

Yep, Barry and I chatted about our respective knee surgeries (he has 5 more than me.) It was a pleasure to walk with him and chat the last few miles. I know he was hurting, I knew he was going to finish though, so the best I could do was just be there.

Tell Barry one more time that I appreciate very much the work he and others do to keep us safe. And once again, my sincere condolences to your family.

God Bless,
              Scott

We talked about it over dinner. Were in baytown for the night, driving back north tomorrow.

Comment

I completed the GORUCK 'Remember the Alamo' Tough and Light this weekend. Started at 9PM Friday, finished about 8:30PM Saturday. A total of about 30 miles with some heavy heavy sandbags that we swapped as we walked. Two were in the 80-90# range.

#goodlivin

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
                  I completed the GORUCK 'Remember the Alamo' Tough and Light this weekend. Started at 9PM Friday, finished about 8:30PM Saturday. A total of about 30 miles with some heavy heavy sandbags that we swapped as we walked. Two were in the 80-90# range.

#goodlivin
                  Nice job on the T/L! Was this your first GR event?

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post

#goodlivin
                    How does that work with the tough AND light... did you finish the light and then go straight into the tough or other way around?

30 miles is impressive!

Comment

How does that work with the tough AND light... did you finish the light and then go straight into the tough or other way around?

30 miles is impressive!

Tough first and then the light.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                        Nice job on the T/L! Was this your first GR event?
                        These were my second and third events. I did the Veterans Day Tough in San Antonio back in November

Swamprabbit we started the tough Friday at 9pm, finished about 10a Saturday, had enough time to scarf down some calories, some first aid for chaffing and feet, a one hour nap, the started the Light at 2pm Saturday.

Next scheduled event is Washington DC 50 Mile. It’s probably pretty flat terrain and only 20# ruck plate so I should be able to get through that one pretty quick for an old guy.

I’m shooting for 1000 minutes, that’s 20 minutes per mile. Doable.

I still don’t think we will show up there without some sort of twist or suprise from the GORUCK cadre. It’s just not like them to tell us everything up front. I’m mentally prepared for anything.

Comment

Good grief! I wish my joints would allow me to suffer that much.

I really do wish I had the other fitness for the physicality of a GORUCK challenge. The truth is, walking/hiking with a heavy load for 13, 16, 20 some odd miles on pretty flat terrain is really not that much of a challenge for me any more. Keeping a 3.5 mile an hour pace this past weekend was really more of an exercise in blister control. If I pushed faster, my feet got hot, so I kept it down. I had sort of wished that for the course that the turnaround was the other side of the bridge (ie go up the bridge 2x).

For me, looks like something along the lines of the Bataan, or the DC 50 would be the next level type goal. I am definitely leaning towards doing my own made up challenge for my 40th birthday this year - 40/40/40. 40 years old, 40#, 40 miles in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                            Tough first and then the light.
                            BTW, they posted up pics on the FB page. A friend of my wife had tagged her in it because she recognized me. There are a couple good ones in there of you.

While she was going through the pictures and I was trying to nap on the couch, she blurts out..

W: "yep, there is always gotta be some dude wearing a kilt!"
                            M: "yeah, I know that dude"
                            W: "how to you just happen to know the guy in the kilt?"
                            M: "he's the guy on TBH that inspired me into getting into rucking"
                            W: "figures..."
                            M: "actually was glad he happened to be wearing a kilt... cause at the rally area, I looked for the guy in the kilt so I knew it was Mark/1369."
                            W: "Well I guess that worked out"
                            M: "yeah, he looks nothing like his profile picture... soooo...."

Comment

Good grief! I wish my joints would allow me to suffer that much.

I really do wish I had the other fitness for the physicality of a GORUCK challenge. The truth is, walking/hiking with a heavy load for 13, 16, 20 some odd miles on pretty flat terrain is really not that much of a challenge for me any more. Keeping a 3.5 mile an hour pace this past weekend was really more of an exercise in blister control. If I pushed faster, my feet got hot, so I kept it down. I had sort of wished that for the course that the turnaround was the other side of the bridge (ie go up the bridge 2x).

For me, looks like something along the lines of the Bataan, or the DC 50 would be the next level type goal. I am definitely leaning towards doing my own made up challenge for my 40th birthday this year - 40/40/40. 40 years old, 40#, 40 miles in one day.
                              Let me know about your 40x3, I'll participate is my schedule allows.

Comment

6.14 miles at a 17:45/mile pace carrying 40# this morning. 1:47:31 total time. 20 miler on tap for Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X