3/4 ton gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/4 ton gassers

There's been a lot of talk on here recently about diesels and the need or lack of need for them. I'm going to be purchasing a new truck 3/4 ton truck in the near future.

Those of you who have a 3/4 ton gasser, do you wish you'd gone diesel? I feel like 90% of my use a gas truck will be fine, so I don't know that the cost increase for the diesel will justify itself when I do pull the occasional trailer or heavy load. Anyone have any 3/4 ton gas tips or things I should be aware of?

Chew has gas.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      Chew has gas.
      Might have been sumpin he ate

Comment

I have a 2015 Dodge with the 6.4. I bought it for the 10% of the time I'd need a 3/4 ton. I also wanted old school solid axles, mechanical 4x4 shifter, and a generally more robust truck than what you can get in a 1/2 ton. I have nothing against diesels and they without a doubt will pull and haul butt better, but the current 3/4 ton gassers are nothing like the gutless ones from years ago. The two main bad things are gas mileage and resale. I get 10 in town and 15 on the highway. You'll buy alot more gas sure, but you also pay less per gallon and don't have emissions BS to deal with or spend thousands to delete. The resale will be less than a diesel but you also save thousands up front by not checking that option. I looked at it from a financial perspective over 5 years and with my use came out ahead by going gas, and I like the truck, you may be different. If you think you'd be happy in a gasser, buy it. Just be ready to get told all the time that you don't have a diesel.
        Last edited by jdg13; 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I bought a 2017 F250 with the 6.2 gasser. I had diesel F250's for the last 17 years prior to this one. I wouldn't change going with the gasser this time. I used to pull a loaded trailer every day and now I do not but I still have some sort of trailer hooked up every weekend and I will have a hay spear on it before long. Do I miss my diesels? sure I do but not enough to justify buying one. IMO it isn't worth it anymore. Sure I might not get great mileage but I drive my company truck most of the time besides weekends. I don't think the new ones are getting the mileage of the old ones but I may be wrong. IT boiled down to not having to deal with emmisions stuff and I tend to keep my trucks for a long time so at some point I would be having to spend more money to delete a diesel. So you have the initial expense of the diesel, then deleting it, plus def, higher maintenance etc. I can buy a lot of gas with that money and get fuel points at Kroger to help out too and I honestly probably couldn't afford to fix one if it broke out of warranty as high as repairs are on them. Something small goes wrong and trashes the fuel system its 10k etc. They are getting 300k miles out of a lot of these 6.2's and just in general it seems nobody keeps a diesel as long as they were once kept to even say that's why they got one. to each their own but these are just some things I thought about before I went with the gas this time

Comment

I have owned both and personally I would never get a gas 3/4 ton again. My old 6.0 got 12 mpg no if I towed something it was 10 maybe. Gas was cheaper yes but with the decrease in fuel economy the increased diesel prices evened it out or is better.

I like having the power when I need it and I do you use it. I have a 22 ft mastercaft and had a 42ft 5th wheel. now a 30ft tow behind. I like that I can idle it in 105 degree weather and never worry about it overheating.

I did delete mine and it wasn't thousands it was 1200. and I get about 2 mpg more now. 16 around town and 19 on the highway conservatively.

Just depends on what you will need it for, but for me there is no question I will have a diesel all day. 170k miles on this one so far.

Comment

My next truck will be a gas. Too many moving parts on these new diesels to either fix (or remove), and then no warranty. Fuel cost is higher, maintenance is higher, but resale is also better.

Side note, I really hope Tesla develops an electric truck with a 300 mile range. In extreme mode, the new Tesla smokes a 530 hp R8. An electric truck would blow the doors off a diesel, and make no noise.

Comment

I have had 2 different gas 3/4 ton trucks that absolutely did anything and everything I asked it to do.

First one was a 2000 Chevy Silverado with the 6.0 gas engine in it. I pulled many heavy loads with it. The truck had over 400,000 miles on it when I sold it. I had the motor and transmission rebuilt on it at 250k. I still see the truck around town and still going strong

I have a Ford F-250 now with the 6.2 gas engine in it. I routinely pull a horse trailer with it. It had never missed a beat either. It pulls great and gets decent gas mileage with or without trailer

I pull a lot of trailers and have never needed more than I have had. We caravaned down to San Antonio Stockshow this year with a bunch of trucks and trailers and I got better gas mileage than some of the diesel rigs and I had a bigger trailer than they did.

I will stick with the gas rigs myself. They are way cheaper to maintain than diesel. With all the new regs concerning emissions the newer diesels are all chocked down with all the crap in them now

Comment

I have a '12 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 6.0 gasser. I have owned many 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. They are way better in the get up and go department when towing. With the additional cost of the truck, fuel cost, maintenance, DEF and all the horror stories I have seen / heard on diesel repair costs I went with the gas motor this time. Do I sometimes wish I had diesel? Sure I do. But that thought goes away when I don't have a trailer hooked to the truck.

Comment

I have a 2016 Duramax and can’t wait to go back to a gasser 3/4 ton. Hate DEF fluid and the cost of an oil change. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the only thing that gaser is better than diesel is long-term maintenance cost, but that is a big deal. If I was going to be driving a 3/4 under warranty it would be a diesel. Diesel is like 4wd, you may not need it often, but when you do it sure is nice knowing it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Youngblood View Post
                        I have a 2016 Duramax and can’t wait to go back to a gasser 3/4 ton. Hate DEF fluid and the cost of an oil change. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        They started using synthetic oil and almost 7 quarts in the gaser now, so oil change isn't that much difference.

Comment

I had a 2013 gmc 3/4 with 6.0 . I loved it!pulled anything and everything I needed it to. traded it in for a tundra that has the same power and gets a couple mpg's better.

Comment

Recently purchased a 2018 Chevy 2500 and have no major complaints yet. Pulled my 36' TT from Mansfield to Sweetwater Friday into a 30-40 MPH headwind and it affected to fuel mileage, but I knew what to expect so I cant complain there. From a power stand point I have no complaints whatsoever. Previous truck was a Dodge 2500 diesel and after a few pricey repairs (transmission, turbo, etc) I decided I am more than happy with a gasser.

Comment

Working...
                            X