No announcement yet.

Aransas NWR 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped a RV Camper off in Holiday Beach just NE of the refuge yesterday. Lots of wind and tidal surge damage, not that much rain. On the way back checked Hoppers and was able to drive to the locked refuge gate. On the refuge there were pushed over trees but couldn't really see any damage to any of the buildings. Hoppers was not that lucky. Most of the buildings have some damage, they also lost a good many building. Gave Butch an extra 20 gallons of gasoline I had with me. The pavilion built to replace the one destroyed in last year's storm came through unscathed. The new houses along the bluff didn't look they suffered any major damage.

I saw 1000's of power company trucks from all over the country working to restore the electricity. Almost of the power grid will have to be rebuilt.
    Last edited by Thumper; 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

�� Per TPWD website: Archery hunt is cancelled due to Harvey.

Comment

Rifle hunt drawing is over, some hunters have been slected, no other details...????

Comment

Comment

According to the manager, lots of water and mosquitos.

We got drawn for the second rifle hunt. I debated real hard wether to go or not but decided to go since I've been there before.

I heard there is storm debris all over the refugee. Refrigerators, building material, etc. Hard to believe the damage done.

Rubber boots and mosquito spray will be in order.

Comment

Did anyone get selected for first rifle?

Comment

Dec 9-13? If so I'll be there.

Comment

New guy here. I got drawn for the third rifle season in Aransas NWR and I found this place while looking for information. I tried to contact the refuge directly but I haven't gotten a response from the phone number or email that are on the hunt brochure...

Does anyone know how to get a hold of maps for the hunt? Maps for the refuge aren't in the regular public hunt maps book. I assumed they'd maybe send some more information along but I don't know.

Either way, I look forward to maybe seeing some of you out there!

Comment

Metal man, I searched around also and could not find hunt area maps. In the past the rifle area was in the middle of the refuge, outside the public loop area and outside the bay marshes where the whooping cranes hang out.
                    In the past they've sent the maps out. Maybe Harvey affected the hunt area, I don't know. I do know that damage was done to the offices, that maybe why they don't answer the phone.
                    Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by L C View Post
                      Metal man, I searched around also and could not find hunt area maps. In the past the rifle area was in the middle of the refuge, outside the public loop area and outside the bay marshes where the whooping cranes hang out.
                      In the past they've sent the maps out. Maybe Harvey affected the hunt area, I don't know. I do know that damage was done to the offices, that maybe why they don't answer the phone.
                      Stay tuned.
                      Thanks for the info L C. No doubt Harvey affected the area. I assumed more information would be sent eventually. I just don't like to assume...

Comment

I am in Rockport didn't get drawn or my neighbor we thought maybe it was canceled. Can't believe that many bow hunters entered. This was the only hunt we would have been able to make this year figured if they had it it would be a shoe in. I have Bees near there and it is torn up bad. That's why we figured canceled.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
                          I am in Rockport didn't get drawn or my neighbor we thought maybe it was canceled. Can't believe that many bow hunters entered. This was the only hunt we would have been able to make this year figured if they had it it would be a shoe in. I have Bees near there and it is torn up bad. That's why we figured canceled.
                          The archery hunt was indeed canceled. As of now, according to the website the 3 gun seasons are still on... I guess we’ll see if that changes.

Comment

Originally posted by L C View Post
                            Stay tuned.
                            I will be there nov 3rd to scout and possibly set up a tripod. I hate sitting all day so don't know how long I'll sit in it. I'm going to use the whole day to scout and hopefully locate deer. According to parks and wildlife website this should be peak of the rut for that area. I am also going to hunt all five days, I'm hoping that folks go home after the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                              I will be there nov 3rd to scout and possibly set up a tripod. I hate sitting all day so don't know how long I'll sit in it. I'm going to use the whole day to scout and hopefully locate deer. According to parks and wildlife website this should be peak of the rut for that area. I am also going to hunt all five days, I'm hoping that folks go home after the weekend.
                              Good luck! My first choice was the Nov 4 season but I’ll take what I got drawn for! You’ll have to let us know how it looks out there.

Have you recieved your maps or any other info from TPWD? At two weeks away i’d hope that you have all the info you need at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by lagunaduck View Post
                                Worst thing that could have happened for the refuge and its hunters. Down where I live, Laguna Atascosa did the same thing last year....went to the state lottery. First time in over 12 years that I did not hunt the LANWR. Didn't get drawn. Live 15 minutes away and was a for sure chance to hunt archery every year without having a lease. From what I understand, they had a lot of trouble with knuckle heads not not knowing their rules and people not showing up to hunt because of the distance and helicopter nillgi shoots. I hope this doesn't negatively impact the Aransas NWR
                                I am not the only one seeing this problem. Most every place in the state, that you could go out when you had the time and hunt, or you could pick the date or dates you wanted to hunt, have been taken over by the state and are now drawn hunts. So the chances of getting on one of those places, is extremely slim, then if by some chance you get on, likely not on a date that works for you. Then TPW brags about all of the public hunting opportunities there are in Texas for public hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X