rattling bucks to the longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattling bucks to the longbow

My son and I finally closed the deal on something special the other morning we were able to rattle in some deer and harvest a 3 yo cull successfully. The last time we got close to closing the deal was 7 years ago when it unfolded the same at 12 yards moving and I made liver shot because I did not swing correctly. We finally found that deer a few weeks later despite having used my jagdterrier, horses and even hiring buddy with airplane to fly the ranch out in Kinney County. We have had many close calls since that time. It was very special shooting him running by me at 4 yards and actually making good shot, he was any easy find that even my great catahoula, Koda did not have to work. I know it is bad idea to shoot deer moving and never do it except when rattling in these 2 instances. I have killed around 150 animals with stick bow over the last 25 years so not looking to start a debate on ethics. If you rattle much at all you will understand that issue. My son and I were excited and discussing how difficult it has been and were wondering if anyone else is trying this feat and how many guys are having success and if so how they go about it.
    Attached Files

Nice buck. Congratulations!
    I've shot moving and running pigs with varied success. Distance is a key factor for me.

Gary

Comment

That is an accomplishment!!!! I’ve tried rattling on several occasions, and when it works, they have always been moving too much/too fast for me to ever get a shot off.

Congrats!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bisch seems we have similar experiences haha. can't explain it till you have been in it...

Comment

also trying to judge them as shooter that fast is tuff, this one was easy. My son almost had shot at mature 150 ten earlier that am. he needed to take one more step. We have found you have to be careful where your rattler is because they usually show up between. If it is quiet we like to be about 60 yards down wind of the horns. when windy you need to be closer. i think the stick bow lends itself to this better than the wheelie due to the fast moving nature of it.
          Last edited by stickbow; 12-22-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Cool! Good job guys. Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Comment

something on my bucket list no doubt. congrats. short but sweet story!

Comment

Wow, that's just plane cool!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on success on a nice buck!

I've wondered how it might work to rattle solo -- I tend to hunt alone. Got a rattle "bag". Figure it could be rattled with one hand and still be able to get ready and shoot if one cooperates.

Comment

Great buck.. HUGE head on that dude!!!!
                    Spilt ear too. I bet he had some age on him.. Great kill. Congrats..

Comment

Awesome congratulations

Comment

Good job

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome

Comment

That’s awesome. Two years ago at laguna atascosa I rattled a 9 pt in for my brother that he shot with his centaur longbow. We kinda snuck into a thicket and I rattled real lightly like a couple young bucks playing around and this guy walked out and made it about 15 ft from me before my brother stuck him from the side about 20 yards away. One of my most favorite hunting memories.

Comment

that is ****** warren0624 i knew someone else must have pulled this off before. nice story. we have had the most success with big horns and big racket stomping , breaking limbs grunting and rattling all at the same time. keep em comin

Comment

Working...
                              X