No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was out this morning. Hog crossed the drive half way down to 7 from west to east when I was walking in. Only one I saw today. Brrr need hot coffee. Anyone else having any luck? Heard some chatter on channel 4.

Comment

NavyChief and I were out today hitting some sweet spots and saw well over 40 hogs today.

I'll let him write up the story, but I will say that I found my big boar I shot a few week ago. Lemme go find the original post...
      Last edited by Sneaky; 02-02-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
        Went out this afternoon and met up with Dave and Tommy for a little hog driving action. We found two very large black hogs, of which the larger one was every bit of 250lbs. - just a freakin' wall of meat. While Dave was trying to push them out of the thick cover, I saw them start to appear and I dropped to my knees, used a large tree for cover, and drew back. It took about a minute for them to give me a clear shot, and when they did, I settled my third pin a bit high for what I estimated was a 35 yard shot, and watched as the orange nock of my arrow arced and seemingly vanished into the black mass. The hogs took off in a sprint, and I too broke into a full sprint to hopefully turn them back toward Tommy and Dave. I had to slow down a bit to nock a second arrow and they took that opportunity to get ahead of me and make their escape from the peninsula. Unfortunately there was no recovery since much of their retreat was in a few inches of standing water (no blood trail) and I believe my arrow stuck in the pig and was then broke off during the run. It was still a good time though, and my brethren in arms were first rate company.

I also met Pig Addiction in the parking lot - nice guy!

If anyone finds a really large black boar dead anywhere near 6, please let me know so I can recover the skull to make a mount of it. The entry would would be on the hogs right side, and it might have an Easton Carbon Aftermath arrow and/or a Slick Trick in it.

Thanks, good luck, and KAP!
        I found this boar today! He's a brute, and probably weighed around 200 when he was alive. His color, stage of decomposition and wound location are a perfect match of what I saw/shot. The "disappearing of the nock" matches the pass-through wound on this boar perfectly also. Though yes, there's no way to know *for sure*, I'm totally convinced and stoked. I'm just gonna let the carcass rot away a bit more before I collect it, because hot diggity, does it ever reek! But the cutters are big and it will make an excellent skull mount.

Comment

Sneaky and I started out early daylight this cold rainy morning and 400 yards into our hunt we were in the pigs big time 30 or so that we were able to walk right up on.....but no shots presented and they took off towards the river I called sneaky on the radio to run and try to get ahead of them to cut off possibly..... No they just got ahead of us still on our side of the river, so we did another push and they ran right from sneaky to me but in the thickest stuff and still no shot and I said to myself three going to swim I ran to the top of the bluff just to see them about half way across the river already there was prob thirty or so big ones and small in a diamond shape swimming fast so I guessed ok there around 40 yds and I put my 40 pin in the middle of the swimming group and shot again as they exited the river bluff on the other side big sow I guessed was at 60 yds and I shot just under her into the muddy bluff and then I noticed the last pig that had trouble getting out of the river with arrow attached 25 pound sow bbq size
          Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

40 and 60 yards shots across a river at pigs you have no possibility of retrieving seems unethical and not very safe either.

Comment

IMG_4475.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                IMG_4475.jpg
                Bam! Doesn't get much more ethical than crossing a river on a cold, windy day to retrieve a smaller pig. Good BBQ's a comin'!
                Attached Files

Comment

I am not an ethical hog hunter jimmy.....lol i shoot my arrows when i see hog hair whether they are hit in the ham guts or face it will slow them down for my knife. no possibility of retrieving ok

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    SMH .... This thread ruined granger
                    Yup ! on so many levels

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                    40 and 60 yards shots across a river at pigs you have no possibility of retrieving seems unethical and not very safe either.
                    Did you really just mix ethics and hunting granger hogs in the same sentence?
                    Thats hysterical !

At least you put down that crossbow i guess ...smh

Sneaky and I started out early daylight this cold rainy morning and 400 yards into our hunt we were in the pigs big time 30 or so that we were able to walk right up on.....but no shots presented and they took off towards the river I called sneaky on the radio to run and try to get ahead of them to cut off possibly..... No they just got ahead of us still on our side of the river, so we did another push and they ran right from sneaky to me but in the thickest stuff and still no shot and I said to myself three going to swim I ran to the top of the bluff just to see them about half way across the river already there was prob thirty or so big ones and small in a diamond shape swimming fast so I guessed ok there around 40 yds and I put my 40 pin in the middle of the swimming group and shot again as they exited the river bluff on the other side big sow I guessed was at 60 yds and I shot just under her into the muddy bluff and then I noticed the last pig that had trouble getting out of the river with arrow attached 25 pound sow bbq size
                    Nice one Chief ! I texted you earlier ! Come on over and hitch up the pit and cook that joker up for them girls ! Nice eater my man !
                    Last edited by RACK; 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Bam! Doesn't get much more ethical than crossing a river on a cold, windy day to retrieve a smaller pig. Good BBQ's a comin'!
                      He's not even wet and parked at steps, so he had to cross anyway! Not like he swam for it. Glad you got the pig, but still not very safe. I was on the other side of that river. I don't know about Williamson county, but it is illegal to shoot across water in several counties in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by RACK View Post
                        Did you really just mix ethics and hunting granger hogs in the same sentence?
                        Thats hysterical !

Comment

It's because i'm 6'5 and walk on water. rookie jimmy

Comment

Sneaky and Chief great job, just got a call from Carnage and he is at it again I will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Comehere deer View Post
                              Sneaky and Chief great job, just got a call from Carnage and he is at it again I will keep you posted.
                              Carnage puts us all to shame!

Oh, and I just called the WilCo GW, who confirmed that there is no issue at all with shooting a hog with your bow while its in the river.

Comment

It's because i'm 6'5 and walk on water. rookie jimmy
                                I may be a rookie, but I'm stacking up the hog kills at a pretty good rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X