ATV trailer - axle and hubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to build a trailer my ATV can tow. I’ve already got the old wheels off my ATV to use, but what should I do for the axle and hubs? I’d rather not spend big $ when the rest of the trailer is going to be pretty cheap to knock out.

Trailer will be off-road use only, and I’d prefer it to be the same width as the 4 wheeler. Easy answer is to get a solid rear axle and hubs off a parts dealer, but that’s $300+. Is there an easy/cheap way to do this?

Thx!

Why now make your own out of a piece of pipe then you could use bearings the that bolt to the frame and the pipe slide through

Comment

Originally posted by jgard View Post
      Why now make your own out of a piece of pipe then you could use bearings the that bolt to the frame and the pipe slide through

I’m all for trying that I just don’t know what to buy or how to build it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Northern Tool sells a number of trailer axle components. I’ve used their torsion axles ( $170/pair plus hubs $100/pair) for ATV trailers. Have also bought their axle stubs ($20 each) and provided my own pipe or square tubing for solid axles.

Comment

Axle spindles and hubs that have bolt pattern that matches your take offs

An axle under a trailer drug around in the woods is just something to get hung up on or drag

Comment

For that price, just get a cheap harbor freight trailer and fabricate it to fit you application.

Comment

I don’t know how large a trailer you are looking for, but I use an old garden trailer that you can find at Home Depot, Tractor Supply, and other box stores. You can probably find them used pretty cheap. Pulled of the existing axel and put in a solid steel bar from Home Depot the width of my 4-wheeler. It makes it a lot more stable and it rides better at higher speeds. Then I put on some solid rubber wheels from Amazon so I don’t get any flats. Wheels are secured with washers and cotter pins. I can take some pics when I get home. I used it to haul brush and dirt around the house this weekend. It’s main use is for hauling brush in S. Texas.
              Last edited by Bowlife; 06-25-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Bowlife; 06-25-2018, 08:15 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Here are the tires/wheels I used. https://www.amazon.com/Marathon-4-00...rch&th=1&psc=1

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions so far. It looks like the hard part is coming from wanting to use my existing ATV wheel take offs. They are 4/110 bolt pattern where nearly all 4-lug trailer hubs are 4/4”. It was beginning to look like I had to choose between keeping my wheels and having to shell out a couple hundred for an ATV axle and hub assembly or going cheap with a 4/4” trailer axle and hub set up but then having to buy wheels and tires.

I found some bolt pattern adapters that will go from 4/4” to 4/110. They are more than I think they’re worth, but are cheaper than my other options. So, I think I can use cheap idler axle stubs and hubs, keep my ATV wheels and tires, and go from there.

I’m sure there’s an easier way to do this but I think I can build a pretty stout trailer that will handle the same terrain my Grizzly can for about $200-$250

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                      I appreciate the suggestions so far. It looks like the hard part is coming from wanting to use my existing ATV wheel take offs. They are 4/110 bolt pattern where nearly all 4-lug trailer hubs are 4/4”. It was beginning to look like I had to choose between keeping my wheels and having to shell out a couple hundred for an ATV axle and hub assembly or going cheap with a 4/4” trailer axle and hub set up but then having to buy wheels and tires.

I found some bolt pattern adapters that will go from 4/4” to 4/110. They are more than I think they’re worth, but are cheaper than my other options. So, I think I can use cheap idler axle stubs and hubs, keep my ATV wheels and tires, and go from there.

I’m sure there’s an easier way to do this but I think I can build a pretty stout trailer that will handle the same terrain my Grizzly can for about $200-$250

Following closely !! Thanks for the help man.

Comment

Build your own. I used these axle stubs. I welded a piece of square tubing between. I did not use springs but it works great. Northern Tool

Click image for larger version

Name:	axle.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	24543630

Click image for larger version

Name:	hub.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	24543631

Comment

they sell adaptors I think on highlifter etc for 4x4 to 4x110 etc... OR cut a plate with a 4x4 pattern and bolt up , then drill a 4/110 pattern and bolt wheel up to it

Comment

Well I am building one as well and I found a simple way .. CL a boat trailer or something like that

I bought a boat trailer for 150 dollars there is the parts . Some are very narrow to start with . ITs a base with common parts and even has a winch You can easily narrow it and then add some wood or expanded steel for the deck .

Just a thought I looked at building one from parts and it was going to cost more than I felt I needed

Here is one that is 50 wide which is what my 700 grizzly is as well . just an example but with a small amount of work you have a trailer that is sturdy . Good luck post up the pics of what you build .

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Warren View Post
                              Build your own. I used these axle stubs. I welded a piece of square tubing between. I did not use springs but it works great. Northern Tool

[ATTACH]913487[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]913488[/ATTACH]

I was curious about springs. Do you wish you’d put them on or is it fine as is? I will be using the trailer in fairly rocky/mountain areas, mostly on beat up washed out rocky logging roads but in typical east Texas rutted muddy areas too. I don’t want it sitting up too high to bounce around but I also don’t want it so rigid it doesn’t ride right

Comment

Working...
                              X