Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have to identify yourself anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    Nothing new here. If you are under legal detention then you are required by law to identify yourself. On casual contact you have no requirement now, yesterday, or 10 years ago.
    No, this guy is filming Federal buildings (maybe to find out where to put the bomb?). When he is questioned to why he is filming, he tells the authorities to F-off.
    Then they do Nothing, just take a cursing??

Comment

I guess I'm old school. If a LEO asked to see my ID, I would gladly produce it. I can't for the life of me understand why some people consider that a violation of their rights or get offended by it. I am not a problem for law enforcement and I don't want to start a problem by with an officer by refusing to ID myself.

Comment

Ok, so if a LEO asks me to identify myself, I should tell him to "go .uck himself"?

Comment

Very surprised to see no one has gone with the "Doesn't the fifth amendment give you the right to remain silent during questioning?" angle.

Comment

I found that cooperation takes you alot further than being a d!@$ just because you can will.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
              Ok, so if a LEO asks me to identify myself, I should tell him to "go .uck himself"?
              This is the response that I have seen lately.
              NO regard for our laws or sovereignty

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                Depends on the situation. If a cop randomly walks up to me and asks for ID, I'm going to politely decline. There is no reason we should be required to do that and it is frightening that people think that is acceptable behavior by law enforcement. If I get pulled over or am otherwise detained, then obviously i'll show my ID.
                This^^^

An officer has the absolute right to request your identification even if he doesn't suspect you have or will commit a crime. You have the absolute right to walk away or decline to engage in conversation. Nothing illegal about that.

The problem arises when a dip**** citizen thinks he doesn't have to provide ID to police even though lawfully detained or when a dip**** cop thinks a citizen has to provide ID simply because he asks for it.

If you are pulled over you are likely detained and it would be a good idea to provide ID when requested unless you don't have anything going on for the next 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  Nothing new here. If you are under legal detention then you are required by law to identify yourself. On casual contact you have no requirement now, yesterday, or 10 years ago.

Yep. So many folks do not understand this.

As another poster said, in a casual contact situation, just ask are you being detained? If not you are under no legal obligation to identify yourself.

I’m amazed at people who willfully give up their rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ok, well, POS didn't generate anything.
                    I will look again.

Comment

Im telling you, the whole "Yes sir, I do have ID, am I being detained?" doesnt work. You gotta say ( repeat after me ) "I AINT DO NUFFIN!" real loud. You do that and he will be like "Oh ok, sorry for bothering you, have a good night" . They know if you say you aint do nuffin, that you aint do nuffin. Its that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        Im telling you, the whole "Yes sir, I do have ID, am I being detained?" doesnt work. You gotta say ( repeat after me ) "I AINT DO NUFFIN!" real loud. You do that and he will be like "Oh ok, sorry for bothering you, have a good night" . They know if you say you aint do nuffin, that you aint do nuffin. Its that easy.
                        Well said, agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Yep. So many folks do not understand this.

As another poster said, in a casual contact situation, just ask are you being detained? If not you are under no legal obligation to identify yourself.

I’m amazed at people who willfully give up their rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This. Nicely ask, “Am I being detained under the suspicion of committing a crime?”

If you are, show your stuff. If you aren’t, politely let them them know you decline. No reason to be a Richard Head and no reason to surrender your rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really simple boys,
                            You do not have to identify yourself unless you are lawfully arrested. (except giving ID to a cop during a traffic stop)

Never give up your rights! Dont ID for no reason, dont allow ANY law enforcement agency to search your home or car. When we willingly give up our rights we lose them!

Comment

◾Brown v. Texas, 443 U.S. 47 (1979)
                              In 1979, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Brown v. Texas, a case where a man in Texas refused to show police ID because there was no probable cause. The court noted “he was arrested for violation of Tex.Penal Code Ann., Tit. 8, § 38.02(a) (1974), which makes it a criminal act for a person to refuse to give his name and address to an officer “who has lawfully stopped him and requested the information.” However, the court reversed his conviction:
                              [Even if there is a STATE statute, Police need “reasonable suspicion” BEFORE they can demand you show ID or identify yourself.]
                              Held: The application of the Texas statute to detain appellant and require him to identify himself violated the Fourth Amendment because the officers lacked any reasonable suspicion to believe that appellant was engaged or had engaged in criminal conduct. Detaining appellant to require him to identify himself constituted a seizure of his person subject to the requirement of the Fourth Amendment that the seizure be “reasonable.”

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                                This. Nicely ask, “Am I being detained under the suspicion of committing a crime?”

If you are, show your stuff. If you aren’t, politely let them them know you decline. No reason to be a Richard Head and no reason to surrender your rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Just to be clear, you dont have to ID yourself even if you are detained. You CanNot give false info, but you do not have to ID.
                                ONLY if you have been lawfully arrested.

And NO threatening to arrest you for "failure to ID" cannot be used to make you ID.

Comment

Working...
                                X