Leupold VX5 or VX3i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leupold VX5 or VX3i

Recently purchased a Tikka T3 in 7mm and now picking out optics. I have narrowed it down to either the Leupold VX5 or VX3i.

Most of my hunting will be done in Texas on deer, hogs and exotics but will also take it on Mule Deer and possibly Elk.

Right now I am debating between
    VX-5HD 3-15x44mm
    VX-5HD 2-10x42mm
    VX-3i 8.5-25x50mm
    VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm

I am leaning towards the VX5 because I like the magnification and objective size combinations. Not sure if I need the 3-15x or if 2-10x would be sufficient for the hunting I will be doing. No shots over 400yds realistically.

Give me your thoughts...

I just put the 2.5-8x36 on a T3x in 308. (Also gona chop the barrel)

If you are going out west, go lightweight

These guns get top heavy with a big scope

Comment

I own two of the VX3 (without the illuminated reticle) 4.5-14x40mm and really like them. Good clarity and performed well in low light situations. I have one on a 270wsm and the other on my 22-250. I've taken deer and hogs out to 225 yards with them with no problems.

That being said, I have not looked through or used a VX5. I'd like to hear what others say on how the HD lenses on the VX5 compare.

Comment

I just got the vx3i in 3.5x10 x40 for the same hunting scenario. I made this decision after talking with leupold. The vx3i should bring on more light then the vx5 because the light has to pass through less Lenses.

Comment

I have one of each on two of my Tikkas and I love them both. While the VX-3i 4.5-14 is awesome, I’d probably go VX5 if I did it all over again. For no other reason than the VX5 having a bottom end magnification of 3x. With 3-15x, you can hunt in the sticks or the open Prairie. And the glass is a touch better as well. Can’t go wrong with either though!

Comment

I have the vx3i 3.5x10 on my gun and love the light weight. 15 power seems a little less useful for basic hunting. Use binos for looking at em first

Comment

I have the VX-5 and love it. One of my favorites ever

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

There will be a noticeable difference in glass between the 2 at low light. Color rendering will be better overall with the 5HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So many options... anyone know of a shop around Houston that has a good inventory I can go look at? Or DFW for that matter, I’ll be there next week.

Comment

3-15 or 4.5-14 will fit your needs great. Write that 8-25 off your list.

I have 4 VX-3i's and I'm perfectly happy with them, if I need better glass I want it in my binoculars or spotter.

Comment

Go handle them in person, I was leaning towards the VX-5 until I got my hands on one. Weighs as much as a brick. I agree that the 8.5-25 is way too much magnification for a hunting rifle.

Comment

Gatorgrizz - what did you go with?

Now seeing the VX3 is about 7-8oz lighter. Didn’t think about weight...

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB View Post
                          Gatorgrizz - what did you go with?

Now seeing the VX3 is about 7-8oz lighter. Didn’t think about weight...
                          Leupold 2-7x33. Lower quality glass but the FOV and magnification range seemed better for my needs than the VX-3i options, and I haven’t been able to tell any difference looking through them.

FWIW, this was on a rifle I was trying to keep lightweight, and I do most of my “looking” with my binoculars.

Comment

Given your choices. Id go vx5 3-15. A little extra magnification is nice a few ounces for better glass would be worth it to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB View Post
                              So many options... anyone know of a shop around Houston that has a good inventory I can go look at? Or DFW for that matter, I’ll be there next week.
                              I was at Cabelas in League City (South houston) this past weekend and they had a pretty good selection of Leupolds

Comment

Working...
                              X