2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
    As if Santa and Uncle Sam didn't just kick my ***, I'm seriously contemplating this...
    Amen. Santa is one bad SOB. Repercussions are felt from November-January

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
      As if Santa and Uncle Sam didn't just kick my ***, I'm seriously contemplating this...

I’m a little hesitant because I’ve had to write some big checks to Uncle Sam the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

any chance of doing a barreled action only?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          I was thinking more along the lines of:

270 wsm
          25-06
          7mm-08
          6.5 creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

260 gets my vote!! I love my 260s. Good source of factory ammo as well.

25-06 after that personally

7mm08 after that.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I was sure dreaming up either the 6.5prc or 280ai if those were options. Only have a 270 and 22-250 and do not hand load yet. My understanding, you can still shoot 280 in the ai. Little concerned whether 6.5prc will take off and the availability of ammo but it is hornady marketing it

But I think it will be hard to convince the wife that a custom rifle is need at this time. To many irons in the fire but have until February to think or dream about it. Either way, thanks APR for the offer.

Comment

Y'all are thinking too big!

22-250AI would be sexy

Comment

For you guys thinking about the 260 that don't hand load, I'm about to sound like a broken record when I say consider the 6.5CM. I know, I know.....everybody is hating on it because its the flavor of the month and is being pushed EVERYWHERE. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of hearing about it too. But facts are facts, and it backs up its promise of performance in its intended place. It offers the SAME level of performance as the 260 in factory ammo, with the benefits of fitting in your mag box, large and available ammo selection that is continuing to grow, which most of the time is cheaper and you'll be hard pressed to find any of it that doesn't shoot lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                  Little concerned whether 6.5prc will take off and the availability of ammo
                  Me too. It also just doesn't appear to add a whole lot of performance* over what the 6.5 CM can do. The 6.5 SAUM/GAP4s looked like a more meaningful difference, but now with the PRC out I have even more concerns about their viability.

*Pushing a 143 ELD-X at 3100fps from a 22" barrel would be a meaningful boost over 6.5 CM. But 2960/24"? Meh. (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...sion-hunter#!/)

Comment

Well looks like I’m all bark and no bite.

Tons of number crunching just couldn’t get me somewhere I would be happy financially (which isn’t the best currently with my spending habits ) so I’ll be envying you guys from the side lines and following for all the cool builds

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                      Me too. It also just doesn't appear to add a whole lot of performance* over what the 6.5 CM can do. The 6.5 SAUM/GAP4s looked like a more meaningful difference, but now with the PRC out I have even more concerns about their viability.

*Pushing a 143 ELD-X at 3100fps from a 22" barrel would be a meaningful boost over 6.5 CM. But 2960/24"? Meh. (https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...sion-hunter#!/)
                      The real world difference between the PRC and the GAP is about 50fps. Which amounts to about the same variance you could see between 2 different barrels. If you want PRC performance in something that is sure to stick around, look no further than the 6.5-284

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        Currently, in rifles, I have in the safe.

.22/250
                        .264 Win Mag
                        .270 Win
                        .275 Rigby (7x57 Mauser)
                        7mm/08
                        .30/30 Win
                        .300 Win Mag
                        .338 Win Mag
                        .375 H&H
                        .44 Rem Mag
                        .45/70
                        204 Ruger

224 Valkyrie

6 PPC/Creedmoor

Comment

So have you worked out any kinks in your 7mm APR?

This one has me interested still.

Comment

nice!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              The 117 grn 25.06 is legit!! Dads ruger 1 and my TC shoot it well. I like the 25.06 a lot and considered this build in it. Ive taken a fair amount of deer with it with an 87 grn also.
                              Ditto, I have an older Marlin mr-7 and it shoots the 117 like a bat out of hell.
                              They’ve been just as easy to find as any .243 or .270 ammo around here.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleCharlie View Post
                                I already own a .243 and a 7 mag. What would be the preferred caliber between the two for someone that doesn't reload.
                                25-06 will fit good for your children.

Comment

Working...
                                X