Owning Land Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigL View Post
    Is the larger land already ag exempt or will you need to establish the exemption?

Land that isn't ag exempt will eat you up with prop taxes.

Not to go "off the rails" here...........
    But, that's why you don't "own," anything...........

Comment

B

Comment

You’re trying to check a few of the boxes and be happy with it.

Make a list.

Which one of the options checks more of your boxes?

I say B, but where we are it isn’t cheaper further out, but we’re just going to go on and do it and live there.

Comment

I say A. In 30 years when you want to retire your "small property" will probably be surrounded by neighborhoods. At that time it will likely be worth at least twice what you paid for it. Sell it and move as far away as you'd like. My wife and I were in the same spot 3 years ago. We bought a small piece in the country. Built on it. Been living here for 2 years. I wish I did it sooner. I have a 120 yard archery range, I pee off the back patio, hunt down by the creek and can't see a neighbor in any direction. My kids run around catching critters and picking dewberries. I am Blessed and thankful. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

A for me as well. I moved from the country, to the city, and back to the country. I wouldnt trade that for anything. Living in the city was miserable for me. But if it doesnt bother you, then B may be the answer. I just got tired of always having to pack up and head out for the weekend and then back to the dreaded city on Sunday or early Monday morning. Been there done that not gonna do it again. Nothing beats the peace and quiet in the country. But I will say this, all land is an investment. In 10 years I suspect our place will be worth a bit more than we paid and if we wanted could likely sell and go buy bigger at that time.

Just a few thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

with the growth in every direction out there won't be out there in 30 yrs, or 10........I'm on 30 acres and in a couple of yrs the north dallas tollway will be about 5 miles from me....my last place was on 5 acres in Frisco on Preston rd, which was hwy 289.....nice and quiet, surrounded by thousands of acres of open land I hunted and we rode our horses.....go by it now.....6 lane road, more like a freeway.....pool store across the road...new subdivisions.....house is still there and my boot is still on the fence post.....at one time it was way out there

Comment

Buy a bigger chunk of land and cattle lease enough of it during the summer to keep or get an ag exempt. I have been looking at a 41 acre patch about an hour from me, it is in a river bottom and flood plain, but got a real nice pecan grove on it and only 10% minerals.

I can tell you something else, dont come on here and say how much an acre it is, as they is plenty of land guru's on here that will say you are paying too much or this or that. If you like it and can afford it, get it.

Comment

Bought our place in the country in '92. Moved here in '99. Only regret is not doing it sooner. Nothing like the peace and quiet. Our kids loved it growing up away from the rat race and have already said they are going to keep it through their generation. Can't see or hear neighbors from the house. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

I would go with B if you can do that and stay in the house you’re happy in. Nobody has ever said I wish i bought less land. I would buy the most acreage I could afford within 1 1/2 of me and slowly work at improving it and eventually build a house on it

Comment

B

Comment

I went with A give that choice 8 years ago. Smaller acreage, but close to town. We bow hunt, kids raise 4H steer projects, animals galore here. They have a more rural life, but the amenities of town are 5 miles away. Always on the lookout for a land deal further out for when the kids graduate. Being close in, with highly sought acreage, my place increases in value twice or three times as fast that land way out. That will fund the move down the road. Finally, maintaining a larger weekend place would be next to impossible with our schedules. A deer lease much bigger than what I could buy makes much more sense at this stage on life. Zero commitment.
                        Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 05-11-2018, 06:16 AM.

Comment

We just recently did option A. We bought a nice house in the country on 3 acres. Sure I wanted 50 plus but we wanted out of the city. Our place backs up to lots if pasture land so it feels much bigger. We no longer have any animal restrictions so momma gets to have chickens, goats etc. I still plan to buy land in the future but we are happy in our decision. Good luck to you in whichever route you go!

Comment

You did not really say what you meant in terms of less or more. Is less 10 acres or 50? Personally I would do the larger land myself. I see people all the time that move to the "country" and get 10 acres...might as well stay in town. Personally in my opinion anything less than 50 acres really is not big enough to do anything with.

-john

Comment

B

Comment

bigger is better.

Comment

Working...
                                X