Help me build my elk arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    I'll have to check them out. Right now I'm leaning towards the Shuttle Ts, Ramcat single bevel, or maybe a Strickland Helix if I go 2 blade. All in 100g.
    I'm going to stick with a 2 blade just to help with penetration on elk(Magnus will have bleeders). Not as worried about it for deer, to be honest with you. Leaning towards the Cutthroats and Magnus just because of ease of re-sharpening. With the curved blade on the Kudupoints, sharpening is a little tricky and I'm not the world's greatest sharpener. I think the Magnus will give me the best penetration because of the longer profile, and they should all shoot good as long as my bow is tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
      I'm going to stick with a 2 blade just to help with penetration on elk(Magnus will have bleeders). Not as worried about it for deer, to be honest with you. Leaning towards the Cutthroats and Magnus just because of ease of re-sharpening. With the curved blade on the Kudupoints, sharpening is a little tricky and I'm not the world's greatest sharpener. I think the Magnus will give me the best penetration because of the longer profile, and they should all shoot good as long as my bow is tuned.
      Sounds like a good plan. I have some magnus buzzcut 2 blades, but only thing I don't like is since they are so long they are prone to tips bending if hitting something hard. I have 2 that the tips are curled up on.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        Sounds like a good plan. I have some magnus buzzcut 2 blades, but only thing I don't like is since they are so long they are prone to tips bending if hitting something hard. I have 2 that the tips are curled up on.
        What did you hit to curl the tips??

Comment

I don't remember honestly

Comment

they are good heads but prone to tip curling.

Comment

Originally posted by mathews4life View Post
              I agree, I think it all really depends on what you feel most confident with. Personally, I'm shooting a Halon 6 @ 28.5 DL pullin' 62 lb with the 5mm FMJ which is right about 500 grains and I've had complete pass through's on all the elk I've shot with fixed broad-heads. Arrow speed is 270-272 but packs a good punch. If you're going mid-west area, its not uncommon to take a 60+ yd shot(If your comfortable at that range). I do like to shoot 4 fletch arrows when I go mid-west only because I've been able to get tighter groups with fixed heads out to longer distances. But..... that's what I feel confident in and that's just my two cents. I hope you bring down a monster brother!!! Good luck.
              Personly the 500 to 550 is what I prefer and recommend. Great weight for all around. I just build that weight with foc. Short draw haha. Average is 25% foc

Comment

I, along with a ton of help from Muddyfuzzy built these:

Black Eagle Carnivore 250's cut to 28"
                150 grains rear insert weights
                100 grain Ramcats or whatever I want to shoot
                Blazers
                595 grains with 19%+ FOC and a ton of momentum
                Quiet, Accurate, Hard hitting and very forgiving for me.

I would use this arrow and have for anything short of Dangerous game, and I have those already built!

Comment

Working...
                X