Help me build my elk arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me build my elk arrow

After a change of plans I will be taking my bow along with my rifle in September chasing WY elk. Now I have to look at my arrow setup. First off here’s the bow: Mathews Drenalin 27.5” @ 60lbs (50-60). I am currently shooting Axis 400s with 100g fixes heads.

My goal is to build a penetrating arrow. I’m not going to be shooting fast regardless so I’m looking for a good heavy hitter. I’m thinking about the Carbon Express Piledriver 340s which are over spined. But I would use a heavier insert and a 125-150g 2 blade broadhead to bring the spine back into range. My goal is a 500g arrow. However I am open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was me I'd look at 700+ Grains, 20% FOC and a Single Bevel Broadhead.

The easiest way to increase penetration on big game animals is to put any of our GrizzlyStik broadheads on your current arrows. We want you to be successful. We're bowhunters, we know what it's like.

I see that the Piledriver doesn't come in a 340 but a 350. spine.
    Its says weight forward. not sure what that means.

I used to be a 420 Grain max weight shooter. @ 70# draw that's 6 grains per lb.
    my current setup is 554 grain.
    I shoot the Goldtip Pro Hunter in a 340 Spine. It weighs 8.9 Grains Per Inch.
    I am using a standard Insert with 50 grains screw in weight and a 100 grain broadhead I want to shoot a heavier broadhead but they're hard to find at Walmart, also right now I'm hunting pigs so there's a high arrow loss rate.

Comment

In as well. I’m at 476 grains and 250 fps with a no cam htx at 73# and 27” draw. Shooting axis 340 with 75 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. I’m actually looking for a different shaft that’s as tough but lighter so I can drop overall weight but get higher foc. I’m comfortable shooting out to 80 yards but would like to get some speed back.

Comment

A 500 grain arrow with your setup is fine. High FOC and a coc broadhead and you are good to go. Good luck.

Comment

I shoot the Gold Tip Kinetic 300 with a 125 Magnus Buzzcut for elk. They have several options for inserts to get your FOC and overall weight where you want it. I am at about 475 gr. You can also go to a 150 gr. Buzzcut or Stinger head.

Comment

Go with the .340 Axis, 75gr inserts and 125gr heads. I have similar specs to your Drenalin and this is what I’m shooting. I come in at 505gr.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
              Go with the .340 Axis, 75gr inserts and 125gr heads. I have similar specs to your Drenalin and this is what I’m shooting. I come in at 505gr.

What’s your Specs?

Comment

I am at 27.5 DL and around 67 lbs. Killed my elk this year with Goldtip 300, 60 grain insert, 100 grain wacem 4 blade. Quartering away went in back ribs and lodged into off shoulder. Walked 15 yrds and fell over.

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc View Post
                  I am at 27.5 DL and around 67 lbs. Killed my elk this year with Goldtip 300, 60 grain insert, 100 grain wacem 4 blade. Quartering away went in back ribs and lodged into off shoulder. Walked 15 yrds and fell over.

What’s your finished arrow weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at blackeagle carnivores 300 spine. Use 50gr. Insert. Find youna good 200gr. Single bevel 2 blade.

If arrow is at 27.5 length then arrow will be in the 510gr. Rannge. Foc will be a little over 21%. This is a good weight and foc

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                      What’s your Specs?

Chill X @ 60lb and 27.5” DL.

Comment

Mine calculates at about 455 grains. He was 34 yrds.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                          After a change of plans I will be taking my bow along with my rifle in September chasing WY elk. Now I have to look at my arrow setup. First off here’s the bow: Mathews Drenalin 27.5” @ 60lbs (50-60). I am currently shooting Axis 400s with 100g fixes heads.
                          What speed are you getting out of this setup? FMJ's?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                            What speed are you getting out of this setup? FMJ's?

You know I don’t remember exactly. They are not FMJs. Just standard Axis Nfused

Comment

Well here's the updated plan. I did some dynamic spine calculations using the Stu Miller Calculator. My normal set up that I use has a Dynamic Spine of around 410. I figured that I know this spine will work with my set up so I will be building a heavier arrow with the target of around 410. Here's my build specs:

-Carbon Express Maxima Red 350s cut to 28" (normally these would be too stiff)
                              -100g brass insert (I could have went smaller but I would have had to buy heavier heads and I already have a lot of 100g points)
                              -100g broadhead (Shuttle T Locks)

This should give me a total arrow weight of 495 grains with 16% FOC and a dymanic spine of 412 which is right on point with what my set-up likes.

Comment

Working...
                              X