No announcement yet.

Started My Flatbed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good. Be sure to put double chains on the toolbox doors so you can step on them to get up in bed.

Good luck!
    JP

Comment

Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-25-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Well, ran into my first major snag today. Put the driver side on and realized that the front toolbox is in the way of my filler neck. Gonna have to cut a big chunk out of the box to accommodate the filler neck and vent tube.

Comment

How much does that thing weigh?

Comment

following..

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              How much does that thing weigh?
              Wondering that myself. Its heavy for sure. Gonna try to get a before and after weight on the truck if I can find some scales.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                Wondering that myself. Its heavy for sure. Gonna try to get a before and after weight on the truck if I can find some scales.

Check your feed stores for the scales. A few of ours have em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a truck stop with them, but I don't know if they will just let anyone use them. We used to have a scrap metal place in town but it has since closed. None of our local feed stores sell bulk anymore.

Comment

We have a truck stop with them, but I don't know if they will just let anyone use them. We used to have a scrap metal place in town but it has since closed. None of our local feed stores sell bulk anymore.

They will, just drive up on there like you own the joint and listen to the speaker, they'll tell you what to do.

Comment

Not sure how I didn't see this coming. Got a little bit of a clearance issue.

Comment

Well, wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Today was a pretty productive day. Got the bed tilted and everything underneath welded. Then we put it back on the truck to figure out that fuel filler problem. Looks like I won't have as much cutting as I thought. Should work out fine with a slight clearance of the toolbox. Pictures to come later. Forgot to take any today.

Comment

Also forgot to take any today before once again swapping back to the factory bed. Guess you guys will have to wait until the finished product to get an idea of what it all looks like complete.

Comment

Still getting it all welded up. Got the toolbox doors fixed, as well as the filler neck recess cut. Still a good bit of welding to do, but I think we got all the pieces cut and ready to go on. Im getting excited and nervous at the same time. Excited to get it done, but nervous we wont make it in time for the show. Hoping to get it primed and painted underneath by mid next week, so we can at least get it primed on the outside by next Friday. No telling how long it gonna take to get the hardware and lights on and hooked up. Oh, crunch time. Its getting so close.

Comment

Still getting it all welded up. Got the toolbox doors fixed, as well as the filler neck recess cut. Still a good bit of welding to do, but I think we got all the pieces cut and ready to go on. Im getting excited and nervous at the same time. Excited to get it done, but nervous we wont make it in time for the show. Hoping to get it primed and painted underneath by mid next week, so we can at least get it primed on the outside by next Friday. No telling how long it gonna take to get the hardware and lights on and hooked up. Oh, crunch time. Its getting so close.

When is the show?

Comment

Gotta check it in on Oct. 13th at 7:30 am, but the last chance to work on it will be the Tuesday before because everything else kicks off Wednesday morning with chickens coming in at 7:30, pigs in at noon, pig weigh-in at 4, and then clipping all 8 pigs. At that point though, if it aint painted, we aint gonna make it. Gotta be dry enough to bolt it on without scuffing too much paint off no later than Tuesday at 3:30. That's why Im hoping to have it wrapped up and have the bottom painted by mid week. Then we can prime the top side on Thursday and paint it Friday. Then it will have all weekend to dry and we can wire and hang hardware Monday and bolt it on Tuesday.

I wish we could get it powder coated, but as this is my own project and the funds are coming out of my own pocket rather than our budget, my pockets aren't deep enough for that.
                                Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-29-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X