No announcement yet.

Rv owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The equalizer hitch would make it possible but I would not do it. As others have said it is not the pulling but the stopping.

Comment

Even with equalizer I bet @ 40 mph the truck starts swaying like a hippie on mushrooms

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
        The guy at the rv place told me to put a equalizer hitch on it and it would be good to go. Would that help it?
        He wants to sell you the camper. I have owned a 29 ft Travel Trailer and pulled it with a 1/2 ton Suburban with the tow package and burned out my transmission. I currently have a 33 ft Fifth Wheel that I tow with a 3/4 Diesel and it tolerates it on a flat run but get into hills and it really has to work. I would not pull a 40 ft trailer with a 1/2 ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Even with equalizer I bet @ 40 mph the truck starts swaying like a hippie on mushrooms
          I wouldn't do it with a 1/2 ton. I have a 28' with weight distribution hitch and it still sways a lot if the wind picks up. I don't get in a hurry going places either.

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
            He wants to sell you the camper. I have owned a 29 ft Travel Trailer and pulled it with a 1/2 ton Suburban with the tow package and burned out my transmission. I currently have a 33 ft Fifth Wheel that I tow with a 3/4 Diesel and it tolerates it on a flat run but get into hills and it really has to work. I would not pull a 40 ft trailer with a 1/2 ton.
            Seriously? I have a 33' and my 2500 never has issues anywhere. What is your truck your towing with? What is the weight of your trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Gus View Post
              Seriously? I have a 33' and my 2500 never has issues anywhere. What is your truck your towing with? What is the weight of your trailer?
              F250 Diesel....On Hwy 71 West of Austin just past Beecave, some of those hills get fairly steep and my truck knows the trailer is there

Comment

Anything over 30' in a bumper pull i think is unsafe for a 1/2 ton even with stabilizers on them there is still too much sway in the back. This past March my brothers 33' flipped on us on our way to washington some high winds caught us just oustide Pecos and next thing you know the rv flipped and dragged us around 360* luckily no one was in the other lane. How do i post pics to show? Also we were going 60mph on flat terrain.

Comment

No way. I pull a 24 ft with my 1/2 ton GMC with a 5.3 liter engine with tow package and it's all I want. Anything bigger and I'll get me a 3/4 ton. Weight is 6000 and stopping it is the problem.

Comment

too risky

Comment

Good excuse to get a bigger truck!

Comment

Can you say "Death Wobble"???

Comment

Originally posted by east tx hoghunt View Post
                          Actually check your towing capacity on your truck. Also make sure the 10,000 is not just your trailer weight but loaded weight. Even if you could pull it might be tough to stop it.
                          The truck is rated to pull a little over 11,000lbs. But yeah my main concern was stopping and wind drift.

Comment

Not no but hell no. A 40' fifth wheel is a handful, but a 40' bumper pull is stupid. I'm pretty liberal with my towing, and don't have a problem hooking up to a handful. I also drive a 17 F-350 CCLB diesel that weighs in at 8500 lbs unloaded. That trailer would make it difficult with my truck. Pulling something and handling something are two totally different things. That trailer has enough size and weight that it will make a half ton do whatever the trailer wants it to do.

Comment

If you really want it buy it and just upgrade your truck. You only live once so enjoy it when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                                The truck is rated to pull a little over 11,000lbs. But yeah my main concern was stopping and wind drift.
                                It ain't about what it is rated to pull.... it's about what it's rated to CARRY...

A 10K bumper pull trailer will have north of 1000 pounds of tongue weight...

And 40' of trailer behind a 1/2 ton will beat you to death...

BTW... Park Model trailers are not designed to be towed regularly..... hence the name PARK MODEL...
                                Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 08-11-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X