Rv owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rv owners

We have an opportunity to buy a nice 40ft bumper pull trailer for a good deal. The problem is that all the trucks we own are half tons. It will be pulled mostly by our 2016 1500 gmc and it does have a tow package. I think the trailer weighed in around 10,000lbs. Can This truck handle it?

No

Comment

No sir, engine alone would not do well, but if your brakes were ever to fail on the camper the truck would not be able to stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Actually check your towing capacity on your truck. Also make sure the 10,000 is not just your trailer weight but loaded weight. Even if you could pull it might be tough to stop it.

Comment

No, not safely

Comment

no way.. I have a 32ft and I pull it with my 1/2 ton Ford and I wouldn't want to go any larger with my truck. I think my rv is around 8500lbs give or take. My buddy had a 35ft rv he pulled for a little bit with his 1/2 ton Ford. He went and got a 3/4 ton after the first year your asking for problems.
            Last edited by The Gipper; 08-10-2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Probably to much, but get your owners manual out and check what it recommends.

In Ford's manual they'll have varying towing limits based on your truck. 4x4, engine, extended cab, 4 doors, etc.

Whatever that total is subtract your truck weight and the balance is what they recommend you can tow.

Last year I took a 35' trailer with my 2015 F150. No problem with the power, but it was all I wanted from the suspension stand point.

Comment

I had a 26 foot and didn't like pulling it with mt half ton.

Comment

Not safely. Truck up if your gonna get it!

Comment

Heck no, that's a lot for a half ton. Unless your pulling at once and leaving it somewhere id invest in a 3/4 ton. If your unable to do that id pass on buying the trailer.

Comment

The guy at the rv place told me to put a equalizer hitch on it and it would be good to go. Would that help it?

Comment

A 40' bumper pull would be a mother @&$%#er with a one ton!

No way with a half ton, or a chevy

Comment

Seriously, a 40' bumper pull is way, way, way too much for a half ton. That's a huge camper. Must be a park model or something, you don't see that big of a camper too often.

Comment

Maybe one time to a camp or coast. I have a 37' travel trailer and am glad to have a dually.
                            That's just not safe.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtau44 View Post
                              Seriously, a 40' bumper pull is way, way, way too much for a half ton. That's a huge camper. Must be a park model or something, you don't see that big of a camper too often.
                              Yeah it's a park model.

Comment

Working...
                              X