X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great place congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      Looking at the damage to your solar panel, I have three questions because I have the same feeder from Krivoman

Do you have a camera on it? Curious if you have a majority of bucks at the feeder like mine.

Also, are the coons jumping up or climbing the legs and swinging over? I have pvc on mine and no coon photos for me.

Last, turkeys pick up any of the protein? Just curious. Mine won't get in my cattle panel pen.

Clay aka BP

Yes, the majority of deer that come to this feeder are bucks.

The raccoons are climbing the legs and making it over to the tubes. We just reinforced the solar panel wiring with outdoor conduit. This stuff is really strong and tough.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	24494075

Name:	IMG_2974 (Large).jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24494076

Our turkeys have no problem getting inside the pens. We cut out 2 fawn gaps in each feeder and the turkeys either walk through the fawn gaps or just fly over. Our feeder pens are also very big - around 16 panels at each feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
        Any growth or activity in the areas you hydroaxed?
        Yes, there is definitely some growth where they mulched. I took some pictures when I was out there on March 10th:

Name:	DSCN2706 (Large).jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	24494077
        There's definitely a lot more growth out there now, but I wasn't able to take pictures this past trip. I did walk it and when I removed some of the mulch the dirt underneath was nice and damp so it's definitely doing it's job. I'll take some more detailed pictures of this the next time I'm out here and let you know how it's looking.

Comment

Here are a couple of better pictures of two mulched clearings that were taken this weekend. As you can see, they stuff is really growing well in these mulched areas. These were mulched earlier this year.

Name:	IMG_3006 (Large).jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24494123

Name:	IMG_3007 (Large).jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	24494124

Here are two rattlesnakes my brother shot this weekend out there:

Name:	IMG_3008 (Large).jpg
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	24494125

Comment

Those roads look great. They sure grew up fast. Did you end up seeding them?

Comment

No, we didn't seed them. I talked to two different seed companies and they both said that I would have been wasting time and money. Plus the fact that we have a lot of cows out there right now so even if it did start to grow, they would have mowed it down. Next time I'm out there im gonna take some more detailed pictures of the soil underneath the mulch and compare it to the soil without mulch. I'll also take soil temps as well. Those are two lanes from one of our gun blinds. We will probably corn these clearings heavy in the fall.

Comment

Well, the weathermen have been way off this week. It was showing 90% chance for the past two days and it looks like we aren't gonna get a drop. We are very dry. We've only received 1.5in from the beginning of April. I sure hope it rains tonight.

Comment

Well, we ended up getting 0.15" on 5/17, 1.0" on 5/20 and 0.8" on 5/21. They were definitely not pond filling storms but we'll take what we can get. I hope we can get one strong storm that produces 2.0"+ before we get to June.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                    Well, we ended up getting 0.15" on 5/17, 1.0" on 5/20 and 0.8" on 5/21. They were definitely not pond filling storms but we'll take what we can get. I hope we can get one strong storm that produces 2.0"+ before we get to June.
                    Don't we all

Comment

May need to shread those roads 1-2 times a year to prevent any unwanted trees from growing if you want to keep the sendero/lane

Comment

Recently, someone asked me what my dream was. I didn't have much of answer then but I think I just read it.

Looks like a great place, with a ton of memories to be made.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing more with time.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          May need to shread those roads 1-2 times a year to prevent any unwanted trees from growing if you want to keep the sendero/lane

The main reason we cut the lanes was to allow more rain and sun to hit the ground and allow better forage to grow. We removed blueberry junipers, so they won't resprout like redberry cedars will. We plan on removing strips of cedars like this every other year or so to help improve the habitat over time. You are correct that There may be a time where we need to use the shredder.

Comment

Originally posted by courtstamper View Post
                            Recently, someone asked me what my dream was. I didn't have much of answer then but I think I just read it.

Looks like a great place, with a ton of memories to be made.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing more with time.
                            Thanks for the kind words! We all really enjoy it. My favorite thing is to watch the deer get bigger/healthier and doing things to improve the land for our deer herd. It's definitely a marathon and takes a long time to see the actual improvements. The biggest challenge we've had is getting others on board to shoot does and help get the numbers down. We still have way too many deer and I'm praying we don't have a drought bc we will be in real trouble due to the high deer numbers.

Comment

5/27/17 Update

We topped all of the feeders off this weekend. We adjusted our two timed protein feeders from being open 50 minutes in the morning and afternoon to 25 minutes in the morning and afternoon. At 50 minute feeding intervals, they were still eating nearly 1,200lbs every 3 weeks. Trying to get our 1,500lbs feeder to last around 40-45 days. All three of the Krivoman corn feeders are filled to the top and set to go off for 5 seconds each feeding. Each corn feeder has the eliminator spinner plate, so it really only throws corn for 3 seconds. At this setting, each Corn feeder should last around 3.5 months.

We didn't get any measurable rainfall last night. Everything built just to the east of us. I really hope we get some rain this week. It's gonna dry out quickly once we get in the high 90's. Going to get another load of cottonseed in late June and top off the protein feeders again.

Comment

Everything said that we were supposed to get around 1 to 2 inches over the past 7 days. We received 1/4-inch for the entire week. We went from having a wet year from janurary through March to now a drier year due to the lack of rainfall from April and May. We still haven't received a rainfall over an inch since February. We are now 3-inches below the yearly average. Hoping for a wet June and July but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X