Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rent a U-Haul trailer, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were going cross country, and had to move stuff as safe as possible, would you rent a U-Haul trailer to pull behind the truck, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover and just haul stuff in the bed and back of the cab area?

I'm planning on staying at campground(s) for this trip - 1 or 2 stops, depending on how I'm feeling. When I moved here 10 years ago, doing the same trip I'm contemplating now, it was a one-stop thing. That was in my 40s. Now I'm 50ish... (more bathroom breaks these days)

At first, I was shying away from U-Haul due to the 55mph max tow speed thing. I know I can probably haul it faster, but don't want to risk a blowout or damage due to not following their guidelines. My buddy said they get squirrelly at higher speeds.

But I'm having a hard time finding a topper / camper / cover for my truck.

All the best,
    Glenn

I would go with the cover/shell if you are planning on keeping the truck for a while. At least you would be able to use it more than once.

However, just for the one task you described, I would go with the trailer because it would be easier to get items on and off with a dolly.
    Last edited by Outlaw_6; 11-12-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Buy your own enclosed trailer. Then you can pull it as fast SS you want? Or reasonable rate?

Comment

Buy a trailer like mentioned or a camper shell.
        Camper shells are seldom appreciated, but when you dont have one and need one it really bites.

Comment

The cost of trailer rental, mpg reduction, and the pain involved with pulling a little trailer, I'd buy a camper shell. I see nice full-sized fiberglass/painted models on Craigslist all the time in the $500 dollar range. What kind of truck do you have?

Comment

I would probably go with the camper shell. You will probably get more use out of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by N Dubya View Post
              The cost of trailer rental, mpg reduction, and the pain involved with pulling a little trailer, I'd buy a camper shell. I see nice full-sized fiberglass/painted models on Craigslist all the time in the $500 dollar range. What kind of truck do you have?
              2014 Ram Quad Cab w/ the 6’4” bed. I’ve been scouring Craigslist. Found a lot of 5’7” bed models, as well as different cabs (supposedly Mega cab is angled and quad is not - I’m going to test that with one I found recently, but it’s a 4 hour round trip.

All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                2014 Ram Quad Cab w/ the 6’4” bed. I’ve been scouring Craigslist. Found a lot of 5’7” bed models, as well as different cabs (supposedly Mega cab is angled and quad is not - I’m going to test that with one I found recently, but it’s a 4 hour round trip.

All the best,
                Glenn
                I'll keep my eyes open for one. What color is your truck?

Comment

I have rented camper shells before traveling to Colorado the color didn’t match but it was cheaper then buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by N Dubya View Post
                    I'll keep my eyes open for one. What color is your truck?
                    Ultimate Steel (dark gray metallic). But I’m not picky on the color at all. As long as it fits correctly, I’m good.
                    Thank you.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                      I have rented camper shells before traveling to Colorado the color didn’t match but it was cheaper then buying one.
                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      This will be a one way trip though.
                      All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

I will sell mine cheap

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post

All the best,
                        Glenn
                        Used it on an older model 6.5 ft Dodge. Repainted it black in 2016. LEER model. Will be home on Sat and could measure it. Hadn’t been used for 2 years. $150 and it is yours. I live Easy of Waco.

Comment

Possible, he only has it listed as 6" but the image he posted looks like a quad cab. A little higher priced though.

The length and price are right, but its missing the back glass, and the post is from October.

Comment

Last time I checked, it was just over $100 to rent the small enclosed u-haul trailer one way. I wouldn't be afraid to pull one if I was staying in campgrounds. Parking them in a hotel parking lot is asking to have it broke into. I see them going down the highway all the time at 70 mph. In the near future we will be renting one to pull behind our RV to move some stuff to northern NY.

Comment

You can pull them 85mph all day long. At least from sweetwater to midlothian you can

Comment

Working...
                              X