Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you shoot traditional and compound and be good at both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was born into archery. Dad owned an archery shop back in the early 60's and I worked in the shop thru my early years so I got to play with a lot of different equipment. I could shoot with a site, three fingers under, split finger and instinctive. We shot tournaments almost every weekend in the summer months but I only shot instinctive. The compound came out after dad closed the doors so I didn't play around with them in the store but I owned one after the store closed. Bill Pierce was the owner of Pro-Line Archery and a friend of my dads. I was at a shoot and shot a prototype that a rep had in the field and really liked the bow. It was called the Tempest II and had a wood riser with a split limb. Dad made arrangements with Bill for us to come down to his business to pick one out as they hadn't been on the market yet. After arriving at Pro Line we met with Bill, had lunch and then he gave me a bow as a gift. I shot a few deer with it and then went back to traditional and now primitive using self bows. One day my neighbor was out shooting and invited me over. I grabbed the Tempest II and went over and noticed that he was using a trigger release. I asked him if I could try it out and he laughed because I didn't have a sight on my bow. I shot the bow as good or as bad depending on how you look at it using a release instinctive. I think you have to make archery fun to have fun, if that makes sense.

Comment

I personally own both and shoot both however, I shoot my trad bows much more than my Compound. In fact, I never once hunted this year with the Compound. I practice every week with Longbow and Recurve but with the sights and all on my Mathews, I can take it out cold and hit the 10 ring at 30 yds most every time. I just prefer hunting with the Trad equipment and will continue to do so. There's just something about taking a deer or hog at 6-7 yds with a trad bow.

Doug Key

Comment

I have a brand new string on my compound...restrung July/August 2017. Never been shot. I almost forgot where I stashed my Darton too. After pulling 54# and 58# daily...pulling 68# with a letoff is nice and easy. I found I developed some target panic when returning to the compound because I expected to be immediately surgical and was holding full draw to long and or releasing in a hurry when sights and target aligned.

Im minorly proficient at both...or just equally deficient at both.

Comment

I wish I were so good at trad shooting my freezer always stayed full and I always had short blood trails. No easy answer for me. Maybe someday.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot both. ALOT. I shoot my longbow almost daily and then shoot the compound about once a week. I find at times I try to relax and release the string with the compound. only thing that happens is I have a very abrupt let down and then have to re-pull. SO when I am carrying the compound in the woods I tell myself to squeeze the trigger continuously. My recurve just flat out shoots easy, at least far enough for me, but I have 0 desire to shoot more then 30yards with it. I shoot my compound out to 60 when I am practicing and really work from 40-60. It's not for everyone and I think if I carry my compound to long I do loose a little with the longbow. But I like them both so I shoot both.
            As a side note I messed up my collar bone early this past season and it hurt holding my longbow at full draw, so I went with my compound until I could comfortably shoot again.

Comment

Long years ago I shot Open class A with a compound then hunted with my recurve.
              Good form.... back tension a solid bow arm etc are the same.
              I was not the best in the state but I can humbly say I was Darn hard to beat with either bow.
              So my vote is you can shoot both

Comment

I shoot both, both have a different discipline, both complement each other...neither interfere with each other...both are fun, both have uses for me in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X