No announcement yet.

Critique this blind plan please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell you right now, sitting in a 4' deep blind sucks a proverbial fat ****.

By the time you position your chair to shoot, you've banged it against the back wall, then in surprise, you kick the front wall and hit your head on the window frame all in one motion. No thank you. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I sit for long periods, and want room to stretch out.

Make it 6x8 floor, and then use corrugated or R-panel for a roof over plywood and felt.

Sure, it costs more to build, but you'll be a whole lot more comfortable in the long run.

Plywood doors are crap, unless they have a rigid frame, and a good skeleton to stiffen the door itself. First humid day it'll warp beyond salvation, and you have built a really big mouse and coon house.

Same goes for windows.

I've built my own, and it's a pain in the butt. While I am quite capable, I will not be doing it again. Deerview products are a lot of value for windows that function as they should in a hunting blind. I've not found any commercial windows that do what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dang you TBH. With all your people with good experience and good ideas. I'm making it 5' deep and 90" wide. That'll at least save me a little cutting on the roof. I get what you kids are saying on the deerview windows and doors. I may revisit that as well. But i've built a few blinds, i like my window and door design, and - what's a little more work? We'll see. I do budget have some budget limitations.

I do appreciate the thoughts.

Comment

The weak spots on blinds are the windows and doors.

I would use deer views windows and old used rv compartment doors.

Comment

Put it to ya this way:

I built the blind at the Farm near 10 years ago. It is still perfect, with no bugs, mice or leaks.

Sure, it cost more and took longer to build, but my daughter will never even have to repair it.

It is a fully welded, 1 ½" square tube frame (all joints mitered, none left open) sided with Hardiboard and a R-panel roof.

Dad designed it, and he and I did the fab work. We've hunted it a bunch.

I'm supposed to start a new blind this summer for a buddy, same construction type, with an 8x8' floor. It is intended for sitting for long hours, and being comfortable the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
            Dang you TBH. With all your people with good experience and good ideas. I'm making it 5' deep and 90" wide. That'll at least save me a little cutting on the roof. I get what you kids are saying on the deerview windows and doors. I may revisit that as well. But i've built a few blinds, i like my window and door design, and - what's a little more work? We'll see. I do budget have some budget limitations.

I do appreciate the thoughts.
            You're roughly 20-25 miles from us if interested in visiting our showroom and discussing options. I'd be more than glad to visit with you over the phone too.

Comment

Looks wayyyy too comfortable

Comment

Working...
              X