Palo Duro Canyon Aoudad Draw Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
    Were you part of the group in compartment 4?
    Yep. I sure thought we'd find them in there.

Comment

Today was also uneventful till about 30 minutes before dark. We got into a group of hogs and killed 3 of them and then we finally spotted a group aoudad. I really sucked it up and missed a shot at 500 yards.

I was getting discouraged but after finally spotting some aoudad I'm fired up again.

Comment

Lots of people jealous of your draw there. That's quite the potential for adventure! Are you not allowed to stay overnight in the compartments?

Comment

Tuned in and watching this one, should be a good hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
            Lots of people jealous of your draw there. That's quite the potential for adventure! Are you not allowed to stay overnight in the compartments?
            You can't camp in the compartments. Most compartments it isn't necessary but as hard as it is to get in and out 4 and 5, they should let you.
            It could be pretty dangerous trying to get out compartment 4 in the dark .

I'm pretty sure they took all the standby hunters. I might have to try this hunt again

Comment

Following

Comment

good luck

Comment

Hope you guys get it done today! There was a ton of sheep sign in compartment five. I took a ewe Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                    Hope you guys get it done today! There was a ton of sheep sign in compartment five. I took a ewe Wednesday afternoon.
                    I was walking the top of 5 yesterday and found where you guys cleaned your ewes. Congrats on the kill.

We found some aoudad today but they were right at 1000 yards and heading away from us.

Comment

That is awesome. Congrats.

Comment

Well I made it home empty handed. This is an awesome hunt. The park employees go out of their way to help. The accommodations were way better than I expected.
                        I met a couple of new friends and I got to hunt with one of my one of my best friends that I met on the first day of kindergarten about 36 years ago. He introduced and taught me how to hunt. We usually only get to hunt together now about every other year, so this was a great trip even before the hunt started.
                        We saw two decent groups of sheep. A couple of good rams. Had shot opportunities and killed some pigs. I really think we had figured the aoudad out and if the wind hadn't got up to 30 mph Today we would have had a good chance at them.

If you are trying for this hunt, start working out now. It's a pretty physical hunt.

Comment

Dang sucks you didn't get to kill an auodad but at least you got to shoot something for you trouble.

Buddy hunted out there the season before yours and killed a decent little ram, think he was in either 4 or 5. He was saying it was pretty rough getting in and out of there.

Comment

it was just at 19 deg. at 6:00am Thur. morning northeast. I just left the airport today and was wanting to ask about the hunting in the canyon. I will give this a try. sorry you did not score, but I love that place.

Comment

Had fun hunting with T Warren, here's my ewe from Wednesday.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba_keith14 View Post
                                Had fun hunting with T Warren, here's my ewe from Wednesday.
                                Congrats Keith. Looked like y'all quartered them out. Let me know how they taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X