Food plot advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot advice wanted

The field has recently been shredded, no time to clear and prep, so I read where others dropped seed on cut grass or cut after dropping seed. This is my plan for this fall, my questions is what type of seed makes a good plot for northeast Texas, and where to buy?
    Thanks for any helpful input, don’t need to be reminded of my many shortcomings.
    Bert

Small seeds. You need them to make soil contact. Clover, chickory and cereal rye are small. The cereal rye will take off faster than the clover and chickory and give deer something to munch on until the other starts going. Others might suggest winter wheat / forage oats. Those are good too but the cereal rye is a smaller seed. Given your situation you need small seeds to give you the best chance of making seed to soil contact. If you can spread right before rain that will help. Unclefish has a really good thread if you have time to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
      Small seeds. You need them to make soil contact. Clover, chickory and cereal rye are small. The cereal rye will take off faster than the clover and chickory and give deer something to munch on until the other starts going. Others might suggest winter wheat / forage oats. Those are good too but the cereal rye is a smaller seed. Given your situation you need small seeds to give you the best chance of making seed to soil contact. If you can spread right before rain that will help. Unclefish has a really good thread if you have time to read it.
      what he said scratch it in if possible.

Comment

Rye.it will germinate in the cut grass.

Comment

Seeds don’t come any smaller than turnips. Their cheap. Toss a couple of pounds out. That’s about a million seeds!

Comment

Good luck !

Comment

I finally got a few acres planted but no where near what I want to plant.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like its comin up!!!
                Good job.

Comment

Are you in China?

Comment

I’ve been using a Land Pride overseeder to plant winter pasture for my cows for a couple years and have done food plots also this year, and it works great. It works by slightly ripping the sod, dropping seed, and ”cultipacking”. I’ve planted wheat, ryegrass, and a food plot mix with it, and everything has come up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                      I finally got a few acres planted but no where near what I want to plant.
                      Looks like a great spot for it to grow!

Comment

Thanks Ya hoping this sunlight today will make it take off! Still have about 15 acres that I want to plant needs to dry off quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                          Are you in China?
                          HA it looks straight on my desktop! I hate when they do that on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                            are you in china?
                            lol!

Comment

Working...
                            X