Issues broadhead tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by let-um-grow View Post
    Start with timing and paper tune (since you have already verified level & center shot). Just had almost exact issues with my back up Elite. Had slight tuning issues and it ended up being mostly spine of arrow as I had just changed......so there is some wisdom in what the other guys have already alluded to. My specs are almost exact to yours on Draw length, weight, and arrow length. Changed from FMJ's 340 and now shooting 400's. I am now shooting 1.5" cut fixed blades out to 60 yards.
    That makes sense. My thinking was I could go to a stiffer spine then add weights to the front to increase my foc. Kinda regretting that decision now since I haven't been able to get this setup to work.

Comment

Ok let see if I got this straight. Nothing changed on bow. All you did is take a 400 spine that you said shot good and got some 340 spine.

If this is correct and nothing else has changed. Then either your form is a little off and the 400 spine flexed enough to hide the flaws. A stiffer arrow will tune great but it will not hide flaws as good. Most of the time you see this in real stiff arrows not just stiff.

If you drop from a stiff to a weaker arrow and it shoots better. You or bow was not tuned as good as you think.

Maybe something has changed on the bow.

It's something simple. You just got to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by jake-1024 View Post
        That makes sense. My thinking was I could go to a stiffer spine then add weights to the front to increase my foc. Kinda regretting that decision now since I haven't been able to get this setup to work.
        Your on the right track. Increase Foc is a good thing.

Comment

Jake,

I think at 27.5" arrows you're on the edge of being stiff (62lbs). Can you increase the poundage?

I shoot 400s at 26.75" at 72lbs. They shoot even with field points to 70 yards.

If your 400s shot perfect... then you pretty much answered your own question. I would find heavier 400s.

Matt

Comment

I think nobody has caught that you are shooting left handed. Too stiff and you will be opposite the reaction of a righty who is too stiff. Right too stiff is left so it makes sense you being too stiff will go right. If you are sure that your bow is tuned, center shot is correct and nock height is good and no fletching contact then I would add weight to the tip and see where that takes you.

Comment

Think I might have found the issue which is cam lean. I placed an arrow in line with the cams and both top and bottom appear to be off.

Comment

I had the same issue years ago only to find that my arrows were not trued out (spinning true). I took them back with broadheads and they recut and glued inserts with broadheads attached and put on the arrow square or whatever its called and problem solved. Now I just order mine over the phone from a shop in San Antonio with broadheads and tell them to make sure they are spinning right with the broadheads when they build them. Never had a problem since.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  Ok let see if I got this straight. Nothing changed on bow. All you did is take a 400 spine that you said shot good and got some 340 spine.

If this is correct and nothing else has changed. Then either your form is a little off and the 400 spine flexed enough to hide the flaws. A stiffer arrow will tune great but it will not hide flaws as good. Most of the time you see this in real stiff arrows not just stiff.

If you drop from a stiff to a weaker arrow and it shoots better. You or bow was not tuned as good as you think.
                  I had this same problem. Figured out the DL I was shooting was too long. I had been shooting long since I started bow hunting, so it just felt natural and just sighted in with broad heads at the time anyways. Wasn't until I started shooting heavier arrow and fine tuning all my own gear before I figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                    I had this same problem. Figured out the DL I was shooting was too long. I had been shooting long since I started bow hunting, so it just felt natural and just sighted in with broad heads at the time anyways. Wasn't until I started shooting heavier arrow and fine tuning all my own gear before I figured it out.
                    That's funny. I'm a 26.5 draw. In the 1990's I was hunting speed. I tought myself to shoot 29 inches. And I killed a lot of deer.

Now for some reason. If your draw is not perfect. We can't hit the side of the barn.

Comment

I used to shoot high wrist to cover for a dl that was too long. And killed a few deer that way. But I'm much more comfortable and consistent at my true dl.

Comment

Originally posted by jake-1024 View Post
                        Think I might have found the issue which is cam lean. I placed an arrow in line with the cams and both top and bottom appear to be off.
                        Bro I have been shooting Elite's for 10 years. All binary cams have some lean. I've never had issues shooting them with broadheads.

Comment

Could be as simple as fletching contact. Lipstick is your friend. You could spend hours tuning a problem that isn't there....

Comment

Mine all lean a bit and never a problem

Comment

I'm running 400 aftermaths 26 inches to the valley of the nock, on a 68 lbs helim (28 inch dl) and getting bullet holes. I don't see how you would be to stiff with a 28 inch arrow at 60lbs at 29. Are your arrows hitting consistently, or all over the place?

Are you shooting 7 inches off at 20yards or 80? If its 20 I'd say some contact is happening.

If you have some heavy inserts, toss in some 100 grainers resight in and measure some groups. (I don't think that little weight you added is off setting the jump in spine unless that new arrow is longer)

Comment

At 62 pounds you should be able to shoot the 400 spine .You go to 330,340 spine with a short arrow you just got really stiff. If your going heavier weight you might have to shoot your arrows longer, carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X