Thermal Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal Questions...

Does anyone have experience with the FLIR/Armasight 3-12x50 (30hz)?

What do you like/dislike?

What options (add-ones) would you buy for it?

Are you happy overall with the scope?

Originally posted by Tailboard2523 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the FLIR/Armasight 3-12x50 (30hz)?

What do you like/dislike?

What options (add-ones) would you buy for it?

Are you happy overall with the scope?
    I'll be glad to help and throw in my 2 cents as a dealer but we need a little more very important info first. Armasight has a 3-12x50 (30hz) in both a Prometheus and a Zeus. I'm assuming you are talking about the Zeus 336 3-12x50 (30hz) and while I hate to assume.....I will.

My thoughts are this....if you're going to buy any of the Armasight optics you need to be getting a really really good deal or you need to have a specific scope you really like with certain features you want. My reasoning is simply this, while they are high quality optics, the technology in them is aging. FLIR bought out Armasight in 2016 and no new thermals have been released under the Armasight name since then. I believe the Zeus 336 3-12x50 was released in 2013/2014 and in the world of technology....that's a long time.

The price on them has been lowered but on that particular scope it's still officially $3,399. For $3,299 you can buy the Pulsar Trail XQ38 2.1-8.4x with a higher 384x288 resolution, 50hz, internal video/audio recording, wifi streaming to an app and a removable/rechargeable battery pack that will run the scope 6-8 hours. Or for $3,799 you can get the Trail XQ50 that is 2.7-10.4x with all the same features mentioned above. If you didn't need/want the video recording or the other bells and whistles you could drop down to the Apex XQ38 or XQ50 and give up NO image quality or magnification and the price is $2,499 and $2,799 respectively.

Another alternative would be the new FLIR Thermosight PRO PTS536 4-16x50 that's coming out very soon for $3,795 and it will include video recording and the new super nice Boson 12 micron 60hz core.

Again, this is not a bash against the Zeus's but the 336 models especially are aging and I just believe there are much better alternatives for the same or less money, namely the Pulsar Apexes as a direct comparison.

I hope this helps a little and if you have more questions, feel free to ask, I'm always glad to give my 2 cents and it's totally up to you whether you take it not.haha

Jason
    Outdoor Legacy Gear

Comment

I actually won it in a raffle, it wasn’t a purchase of my choice. I know very little about thermal units. I would love one that I could record with! Maybe I can sell this unit and get one of the units you described.

Comment

I actually won it in a raffle, it wasn’t a purchase of my choice. I know very little about thermal units. I would love one that I could record with! Maybe I can sell this unit and get one of the units you described.
        Well let me tell ya something....if you won it, you're the luckiest guy I know! The price of FREE is the best price there is. It's a SUPER nice scope for that price.lol

My advice is to either keep it and use it or go ahead and sell it while it's brand new in the box. You'll get a whole lot more for it that way than selling it used. If you want to record with that scope you can buy a DVR unit and a cable and be set. It's all up to you but I'd definitely make my decision before you go out and use it a bunch.

We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818

We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818

Congrats on the win!

Jason

Comment

Do I need both of the products that you showed in the links to be able to do the video option?

Comment

Ok, I’m in a predicament now. The company that I won the scope from messaged me saying that they’re waiting on their supplier to ship them the scope and said it could take a few weeks. They said they have a Armasight 640 1-8x50 available now, if I wanted to trade. Is this a good trade, or would I be settling for a lower quality scope?

Comment

Check this sight out. There might be a review for each scope...

Comment

Ok, I’m in a predicament now. The company that I won the scope from messaged me saying that they’re waiting on their supplier to ship them the scope and said it could take a few weeks. They said they have a Armasight 640 1-8x50 available now, if I wanted to trade. Is this a good trade, or would I be settling for a lower quality scope?
                Ok hold up...Let's get some more info because something isn't right. The only Armasight model that is 640 and 1-8x is one of the Predators and it's only a 25mm objective, not a 50mm. That's a big difference. I'd get a confirmation on exactly what scope it is.

640 resolution is the best but this isn't cut and dried, I'd need to do a little digging but my gut says I'd rather have the Zeus with higher magnification, lower resolution and twice the objective lens size. The Predators are Armasight's very basic entry level scopes but the Predator 640 1-8x25 is essentially the same price as the scope you won, so it is a fair dollar trade.

Do you mind telling me who you're dealing with? Just curious. If you'd rather not say it's fine.

Also, I'm not surprised on the fact they might have to wait to get you the scope you won. Not many dealers are stocking those any longer and FLIR/Armasight has been 3-8 weeks producing most thermals in the last few months. So that definitely sounds legit.

Comment

Outdoor Legacy, do you have a number that I can text you at? I’ve got pictures of both, but can post them.

Comment

Can you email me? jason at outdoorlegacygear.com If not let me know.

Comment

Let me try..

Comment

Email sent

Comment

Received and replied

Comment

Working...
                          X