Dog with a wart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog with a wart?

Anyone ever dealt with a dog that had a wart or warts? What was the treatment if any? Cause for the wart?

My Silver lab developed a wart on the tip of his ear here in the past month. Well, I think it is a wart. I have an appointment with the vet next week to make sure it is nothing worry about.

I have read that it is probably a benign wart that could have been caused by a cut he had in his skin. My dog had a cut on each of his ears from playing with other dogs and rough housing. Nothing bad, just little nicks. About a month after the cuts healed up, this wart popped up. It has grown quite a bit and looks really scaly. Good thing is the wart doesn't really seem to bother him, but he's an active lab and I train with him outside so I'm afraid he's going to rip it off one day. And it will be a mess.

I believe my lab has a pretty weak immune system because he tends to have a pretty thin coat, sometimes some dry flaky skin (pending on what time of year), and a yeast infection in one of his ears is a constant battle. Could be a diet thing, but he eats pretty good food. (Victor Performance)

Thoughts? Things I can try?

Thanks!

Oh here is a couple pics of the wart. 1st when I first noticed it about a month ago and second from just the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, looks like a wart. Ask the vet to freeze it.

Comment

Burn it off

Comment

Don't mean to be alarming, but that might be cancer. Highly contagious to other dogs, is what out vet said. We lost a Boston Terrier to something that started looking just like that. Take to a Vet and get it biopsied. We had to amputate his front leg and he finally passed 6 months later. One year ago yesterday. RIP Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
            Don't mean to be alarming, but that might be cancer. Highly contagious to other dogs, is what out vet said. We lost a Boston Terrier to something that started looking just like that. Take to a Vet and get it biopsied. We had to amputate his front leg and he finally passed 6 months later. One year ago yesterday. RIP Jack.
            Man, I'm sorry for your loss. That's horrible and hope that isn't the case here.

That's something that I thought as well and has concerned me. I have read that it is very rare for it to be cancer, but it is possible. Everything I have read online shows that it is contagious between other dogs which makes me believe he got it from his daycare when he was bitten.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
              man thats the saddest thing ive heard all day, sorry for your loss

Comment

Your dog doesn't take Apoquel by any chance ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Your dog doesn't take Apoquel by any chance ?
                  No he doesn't.

Comment

One of my dogs starting getting warts on her eyelids. They were growing rapidly so I had them removed. The lab test came back as benign melanomas.
                    Squamous cell carcinomas can resemble warts except usually crusty with a tendency to bleed.
                    Good for you for getting it checked out.

Comment

Ordered my own freeze spray.. dog hated it.. but it got the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        One of my dogs starting getting warts on her eyelids. They were growing rapidly so I had them removed. The lab test came back as benign melanomas.
                        Squamous cell carcinomas can resemble warts except usually crusty with a tendency to bleed.
                        Good for you for getting it checked out.
                        Thanks! Better safe than sorry. I'd hate for it to be something worse and not know it.

Comment

My dog has several. Just a product of getting older. Have it froze off if it really bothers you.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            My dog has several. Just a product of getting older. Have it froze off if it really bothers you.
                            Yeah, my dog will be 3 in October.

Comment

Working...
                            X