Tree / Post Puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree / Post Puller

Building another skid steer loader attachment...well, 2 of them. I have been wanting a heavy duty tree puller to deal with the heusatch/ huisache trees that spring up around here, and some mesquites. Figure it should handle decent size cedars as well. One of my neighbors hired me to build him one at the same time, so figured I'd share the saga with anyone who wants to build one.

Parts:
    - 2x4x .25 wall rectangle tubing for the quick attach frames
    - 1/2"x 1.5" for the top bar of the Q/A
    - 3/8" x 3" for the bottom pin-plates of the Q/A
    - 3x3x .25 wall square tubing for the arms/ pinchers
    - 2x2x .25 wall for the supports
    - Hydraulic cylinder is a 3" bore x 6" stroke. Most of the ones I have seen/research are 2"x8"...I want more gripping power and I purchased the 6" stroke cylinders surplus, so I'll just mount them in such a way we still have appropriate swing.

This one will be my main inspiration, but probably with double jaws to prevent cutting.

Heavy duty for sure

Comment

44.5" wide by 20" tall

Comment

The pinchers/ jaws will be 3.5'...I think that will give a pretty decent reach without eating branches on approach. I'll likely build some form of brush-guard for them as well.

If anyone has a puller, or used a puller, and has suggestions on what they wished it would/could do, please fire those options off....I may be able to include it in the build.

Comment

I bought some materials to build one of those for myself but haven't gotten to it.

But I plan to add 3-4 backhoe bucket teeth straight off the front so I can grub with it also.

Comment

Originally posted by Big H View Post
            I bought some materials to build one of those for myself but haven't gotten to it.

But I plan to add 3-4 backhoe bucket teeth straight off the front so I can grub with it also.

Love it!...I am looking into adding 2 teeth, one on each pincher. If I don't add teeth, I will make some from an old cutting edge (I understand most cutting edges are AR400).

Comment

This is gonna be a cool build. Looking forward to watching.

Comment

Got the first frame tacked up.

Comment

Got a buddy building one of these. I cut some parts for him on the CNC and he showed me a video. Really wanna try one of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                    Got a buddy building one of these. I cut some parts for him on the CNC and he showed me a video. Really wanna try one of these things.

Man, I want a buddy with a CNC !!!!! [emoji23][emoji15][emoji12][emoji631][emoji631]

We have always ripped the cedars out with an extreme duty root grapple. Can do pretty much everything with it, but it's very heavy and I think it's 74" wide. I figure a custom extreme duty tree puller will be at least 500-800 pounds lighter ...which should give us that much more usable breakout force & the fact that it's narrow should lend itself to more selective removal. I'm super eager to give this thing a go.

Comment

Implementing my Henry Ford skills.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                        Man, I want a buddy with a CNC !!!!! [emoji23][emoji15][emoji12][emoji631][emoji631]

We have always ripped the cedars out with an extreme duty root grapple. Can do pretty much everything with it, but it's very heavy and I think it's 74" wide. I figure a custom extreme duty tree puller will be at least 500-800 pounds lighter ...which should give us that much more usable breakout force & the fact that it's narrow should lend itself to more selective removal. I'm super eager to give this thing a go.
                        I was real excited when we got it. Now it's just a **** job

Comment

in for the build!

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

Rectangle tube frame is welded. Trying to figure out the best way to do the "hinge" for the jaw that will open and close with the hydraulic ram. I have some 3.5", 1/4" walk pipe that will serve as the outer part of the hinge and I have some insane 2 7/8", 1/2" wall pipe for the inner part of the hinge.

Comment

Working...
                              X