Creede/Lake City bound....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creede/Lake City bound....

Looks like we will be headed up there Sept 25-29 for a little getaway. Use to go up there all the time but it has been several years since the last trip there. Anything to do/must see that I might have missed between Pagosa Springs and Lake City? Made that trip a lot, but I know things change.... Plan on doing some hiking, lots of fishing and some camping. I did notice that a lot of the campgrounds show that they will be closed then. I use to love Big Meadows but shows that it is closed after Sept 18?? Can I just camp in the Natl Forest where ever?

There shouldn't be any hunters as most all seasons are closed that week. You can camp in the forest. I know of a couple places between pagosa and Southfork. Not so much up towards Creede or Lake city. Creede has Bachelor loop and the city of Gnomes. Also the headwaters of the Rio Grande. There is fishing all over the place. There is a good brewery in Del Norte east of Southfork. I spend most of my time in Southfork. Fly fishing that time of year is nymphs. I try all the rest but 80% of my fish are on nymphs. Stop at Rainbow grocery in Southfork. Pretty good fishing section with better prices on flies than anywhere around.

Comment

since you haven't been in awhile......prepare yourself for thousands of forest acres of beetle kill

Comment

Yeah, we've still been going to CO every year just in different areas up near Breck/Dillon/Silverthorne and all. Figured the beetle kill was bad down there too. Got down through Gunnison last year but that's as far south as I've been in a while....

Comment

Freemon's between Creede and Lake City has awesome burgers and a good small fly shop...not nearly what Rainbow Grocery has though. If you play golf, that course that goes up onto the mountain in Soutfork is AWESOME!

We had a great time partyin at the Tommyknocker in Creede.

Comment

We used to go up to Oleo Ranch (between Creede and Lake City) back in the day rent cabin for base camp,and take horse horses around to the back side of Baldy Cinco to elk hunt and stayed in tents. It was a nice but simple place then Ronnie an old cowboy ran it, not sure if he's still around or if the place is the same now. Had several creeks and some nice ponds full of trout. Not sure what else is around we normally just hunted did go to Lake City once it was a cool little town.

Comment

Can't wait to get up there again! That drive up the Rio from Creede towards LC is one of my favorites anywhere....

Comment

Just got back from LC and counting the days until I'm back up there.
                OP have a great time, I'm jealous.

Comment

Ill be hunting in Southfork September 9th. Absolutely love the area. Archery seasons ends the 24th so there shouldn't be many people in the mountains. You can camp wherever you'd like in most of the NF. If you need some good spots to camp near south fork let me know.

Comment

most of the NF campgrounds are closed about that time. there are a couple private type camp places near LC you might like ( ie; Castle Lakes). the moose population has really grown in that area in the last 5 yrs. check around deer lakes, Oleo ranch, along the Cebolla and the backside of San Cristobal for them.

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                        most of the NF campgrounds are closed about that time. there are a couple private type camp places near LC you might like ( ie; Castle Lakes). the moose population has really grown in that area in the last 5 yrs. check around deer lakes, Oleo ranch, along the Cebolla and the backside of San Cristobal for them.
                        We saw a couple around Deer Lakes when we were there earlier in the summer.

Comment

Man I can't wait to get back up there! May camp a few nights but will probably just find some of the local cabins rentals along the way too. Looking forward to maybe seeing some moose....

Comment

Take the pass up to Handies Peak. It's one of the easiest 14ers and the views are unparalleled. Especially in September. You can thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                              Take the pass up to Handies Peak. It's one of the easiest 14ers and the views are unparalleled. Especially in September. You can thank me later.
                              Can you drive it? Or are you talking hike it? Where is the access point to it at?

Comment

Working...
                              X