No announcement yet.

Euro in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! How much rid-x did you put?

Comment

Did you submerge the antlers? If so have you noticed any discoloration? I did the one in my avatar pic by boiling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanshot View Post
        Looks great! How much rid-x did you put?
        I didn't measure it, just dumped it in, maybe 1/4 cup.

Comment

Originally posted by RAGUIRREJR View Post
          Did you submerge the antlers? If so have you noticed any discoloration? I did the one in my avatar pic by boiling it.
          The bases of the antlers were submerged enough to cover the entire skull with water and there is no discoloration.

Comment

dang i will be trying this for sure. Boiling is a pain

Comment

i burry mine on an ant hill works pretty good they will do the cleaning for me and no smell

Comment

Sounds like what I need to try next time. Just got done boiling one and it's a time consuming pain, plus there's some gross factor with it, too. I think my stomach can handle trying maceration......at least once

Not trying to hijack, but how do you de-grease the skull, and what do you use? Thanks.
                Last edited by HeyMikey; 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                  Sounds like what I need to try next time. Just got done boiling one and it's a time consuming pain, plus there's some gross factor with it, too. I think my stomach can handle trying maceration......at least once

Not trying to hijack, but how do you de-grease the skull, and what do you use? Thanks.
                  A lot of different things are used for degreasing. Some people soak them in Colman fuel some use laquer thinner, I just soak mine in water and about 1/4 cup dawn dish soap, changing the water every 2 or 3 days or when it gets dirty. If its cool outside I add a fish tank heater to keep the water warm. Deer usually take a couple of weeks to get all the grease out, I think the Colman fuel and laquer thinner work a little faster but I'm not in any hurry.

Comment

Thanks for the info.....I'll be getting on that next.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                      ?.... How bad does it smell. Weak stomach when it comes to smells. I did one minus te ridx and I threw up lol. Looks like it did a good job. Any washin or scribing needed besides degreasing?
                      Just take a tissue with a little of the wife's perfume and put a piece in both nostrils. It will get u through some pretty nasty smells...like a cooler you forget to empty.

Comment

I put a touch of dish soap in with mine after it got most of the nast off.

Dont bleach... Learned that the hard way.

Comment

Done. 3 coats of clear coat later.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Coach, did you degrease that skull?

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try this method next time.

Comment

Originally posted by trapper View Post
                                Coach, did you degrease that skull?
                                Dawn dish soap... Mixed in when i refilled the last couple times...

Ive used bleach before and the skull got too dry and pretty much ruined it.

Comment

Working...
                                X