Bank Pole/Diddy Pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Pole/Diddy Pole

I have been toying with the idea of making some diddy poles to run on the brazos, I've personally never done it but seen plenty of videos to encourage me to try it out. Anyone on here fish this way? Pointers, tips/tricks? And of course opinions on the setup in this video I'm posting.

Guess nobody has any insight?

Comment

Cool idea. Early morning threads get buried pretty quickly.

Comment

Interesting, I've never heard of that before. Looks like a pretty cool setup though.

Comment

Might throw a couple together this weekend if I have time

Comment

New way of looking at a very old method of fishing. Cane poles were originally used the same way. They will float. The cane acts as a float. Once a fish pulls them out of the bank, just boat around till you see it floating or bobbing. Then lift it up by the end. Hang on if ya got a big perch for bait.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

My grandfather had a stand of cane on one side of his place on Lake Worth while I was growning up. A bit of wrapped braided line with a weight, hook, sinker, and sometimes a bobber, could be had for $.25. We always made our own.

Comment

That little weight wont hold very well in the Brazos. So if you make some you might change that up. Other than that its pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                  That little weight wont hold very well in the Brazos. So if you make some you might change that up. Other than that its pretty cool.

I agree that the Brazos current will be to much for a small weight such as they showed in the video, but it should be fine along the bank somewheres that isn't flowing as fast. I'll probably use a 3oz or so if needed.

Comment

I saw some set along the brazos while kayaking and wished I had a boat to try it myself. These were made of cane and much longer 10-12 foot

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I saw some set along the brazos while kayaking and wished I had a boat to try it myself. These were made of cane and much longer 10-12 foot
                      I saw some too thats what originally gave me the idea

Comment

Dad uses willows as they give and fight fish a little better.. but wehave used 1/2" pvc stuck in the banks as well s 1/4" fiberglass rods ... we use 1 / 2 and 3 hook drops with custom lead sinkers that are 3" long / 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick.. not sure what they weigh... but anything to keep the line in the water... easy to check as you boat by and if they are jerking pick up the fish and re-bait... we usually run the lines and stop if they are jerking and re-bait on way back ...

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          What you do if leaving out is use 150# braided line, an electric fence post, 2 big freakin hooks and a brick on the bottom. Make them as long as needed for your location and put them in the ground. Works great and the fiberglass post bends to give them some resistance.

Comment

My dad and I watched this during the Christmas break. Interesting idea, plus a funny incident with a guy that should know better and his boat.

Chad Miles, host of Kentucky Afield TV, joins long time friend Jarrod Swift on a fishing trip down the Salt River and memory lane.
                            Last edited by rswell2; 01-20-2018, 06:23 PM. Reason: Goof

Comment

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X