No announcement yet.

Mesquite Country Sausage Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making some sausage this weekend. Going to try a few of these recipes. Last second decided to try hotdog recipe also. Have all spices and cure but don't have erythorbate nor know where to even find it other than online which is too late for this weekend. Is it necessary for other than preserving color and speeding the cure? Is there a substitute?

Comment

Made 15lbs of the fresh spicy venison/pork sausage last night! Added some diced green onions. I'm gunna cook some today, can't wait! Thank you for the recipes Mesquite!

Comment

If you are having problems with your grinder gumming up use ice instead of water to keep the blades cold.

Afm14,

You don't need it, just don't be weirded out if your hot dogs turn a little brown on the inside instead of completely pink while in the freezer. That's all erythorbate does.

But there are substitutes, like citric acid (sometimes used in fermented sausages).

Comment

Spent last year stuffing with my grinder. That sir is for the birds. Got me a ss vertical stuffer and haven't looked back! What took me so long...

Comment

Made about 10 pounds each of bratwurst, andouille, jalapeño/cheese, salami and chorizo this weekend. I'm with TXFireFighter. Using the grinder to stuff really sucks. Won't do that again. I didn't even try the hotdogs after all because it would have taken forever to stuff with grinder. All the sausage turned out great. Even my wife that doesn't like venison loved all the sausage. Thanks for the recipes and info. I did notice on recipe for andouille it has cure listed twice with different amounts

Comment

Yeah I broke down and got the 5lb LEM stuffer. Much better.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                Yeah I broke down and got the 5lb LEM stuffer. Much better.

Does that LEM one do a good job of squeezing all the meat out? Looks like it would have to leave some in bottom.

Comment

It does leaves some. As in maybe a few ounces total? About a bite. Just a REALLY thin layer across the bottom. But none comes up the sides when you push down. Perfect fit in the cylinder. I'm very pleased with it.

Comment

Thx. I'll be picking one of them up

Comment

Picked this one up and it works great! Best price I could find also.

If you want to step up your sausage making operation but don't need a massive machine taking up space and power in your kitchen, the Backyard Pro Butcher Series SS-5V 5 lb. vertical manual sausage stuffer is for you! Whether you're making kielbasa, chorizo, or bratwurst, this stuffer has what it takes to give you consistent links or ropes of sausage.

Simple to use, a cranking mechanism lowers a plunger that forces the meat through the stuffing tubes into the sausage casing. A piston with stainless steel air-release valve let's air escape while stuffing to ensure you get a perfectly packed sausage. Included with this stuffer is 1/2", 3/4", and 1" plastic tubes. There are holes in the base of the unit for mounting to the work surface (hardware sold separately).

An aluminum gear-box, steel bar frame, and stainless steel base are durable and hold up well to heavy use. The canister can hold up to 5 lb. of meat and is also able to be slid out free of the machine for easier filling and cleaning.

Overall Dimensions:
                      Width: 9 1/2"
                      Depth (with handle and tube): 18 3/4"
                      Height: 15 3/4"

Comment

Heres basically the same thing for a better price! this is the one I own..

Comment

Yeah saw that one also, the one I ended up getting is identical but the 6lb model.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebryan View Post
                            Heres basically the same thing for a better price! this is the one I own..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9319_200449319

I had concerns about the plastic gears holding up. Have you had it long?

Comment

Made a bunch of jap/cheese sausage this past weekend and it is very good. Thanks for the recipe and help

Comment

ttt

Comment

Working...
                                X