Pink Foam+Fiberglass=Round Bowblind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Foam+Fiberglass=Round Bowblind

This may take some time, but in the process of building a 6x6 round fiberglass blind. Tired of throwing something together or paying $1k or more on a good blind. The plastic blinds are ok but no insulation and in October it is like being in a sauna.

Using 1" pink foam board and epoxy resin and cloth, did a few test pieces and dang I could not believe how light and strong it was. This will have very little wood in it, mainly floor, joints and some around the windows and doors. I am going for 1 man setup, may even do interchangeable wheels. We will see when I get there.

Here is what I did today, sheets cut and some glued together and a few cuts down the sheets so I can bend them. Hopefully more tomorrow.

This should be a fun one to follow.

Comment

Do some research on "poor man's fiberglass", a concoction of Titebond II wood glue. A lot cheaper and if taken care of it lasts.

Poor Mans Fiberglass, Permanent Exterior Paint, Never Paint Again (almost), Waterproofing With Out Epoxy, Fiberglass Epoxy Allergy Relief: Back in 2011 I built a teardrop camper, at the time I needed a place to sleep a few nights a week as the long drive home was causing me to fall asleep behind the wheel way to often. I got the plans for the teardrop free from the best teardrop traile…
      Last edited by dogcatcher; 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
        Do some research on "poor man's fiberglass", a concoction of Titebond II wood glue. A lot cheaper and if taken care of it lasts.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Poor...hing-weatherp/
        I seen it on the tear drop forum, I did 3 test pieces, TB11 with 10oz cloth, TB11 with burlap and epoxy resin and 6oz glass cloth. The TB11 and cloth was not bad, but the epoxy and glass was far superior in strength and bonding. I will spend an extra couple hundred for it to last. The 2' x 6" peice of 1" foam I did with the glass would hold my weight without breaking. I was impressed by that.

Comment

Well got it upright and starting to look like something. Just need to shape it a bit more and lay some glass on the seams

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

This going to be awesome.

Comment

Tagged, looks good

Comment

I didn't know that pink foam would hold up under fiberglass resin.
                Anxious to see the results ... as well as the final cost.

Comment

Subb'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In to see how this turn out

Comment

in for progress

Comment

Interesting. I'm also anxious to see the end product. That's a whole lot cheaper and easier than plywood, but messier too. It also should be incredibly light.

Comment

Interesting concept that I've never seen or heard of. Please share as many assembly pics as possible.

Comment

Laid a little bit of fiberglass, hard to see in the pics because it wets out clear. This is 6oz cloth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              Interesting. I'm also anxious to see the end product. That's a whole lot cheaper and easier than plywood, but messier too. It also should be incredibly light.
                              It will not be cheaper, but it will be a whole lot lighter.

Comment

Working...
                              X