Antler Restriction Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traxx View Post
    If I read it right, since only 1 13+ is allowed then why waste it on a older buck with a ugly rack. If more than 1 13+ is allowed then the older buck can be culled.
    Exaclty this.

Comment

I've always been perplexed by the meat hunters who admit to gladly passing a doe and happily shoot a young buck.

If I read it right, since only 1 13+ is allowed then why waste it on a older buck with a ugly rack. If more than 1 13+ is allowed then the older buck can be culled.
      A lot of guys I know would rather shoot an ugly mature buck than a younger one with a better rack. Personally I'm glad it's just one buck 13"+ that's allowed. Otherwise you'd have too many guys taking liberties with deer they ought not to.

Comment

That’s true. I was commenting to the post where all the big deer are being killed. Being able to take 2 deer would not keep the big deer from being shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          I've always been perplexed by the meat hunters who admit to gladly passing a doe and happily shoot a young buck.
          To keep the balance or a 1 to 1 ratio. 3 does and 4 bucks then shoot a buck. 4 does and 3 bucks then shoot a doe.
          On the other foot I am always perplexed by the need to shoot a deer for a large rack and then leave the rest of it lay. Not saying that any of you do it, however I have come across a deer missing the head and nothing else.
          Last edited by Traxx; 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Well, I am a meat hunter and will take a doe or spike any day over a wore out old azz buck. Even better if I can kill it out of rut. To me a 2/3 year old is prime. Old enough to have some weight but young enough for eating.
            chicken is cheap.......

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
              chicken is cheap.......
              So is beef.

Comment

however I have come across a deer missing the head and nothing else.
                Game wardens do this often on road killed deer, bucks and does, heads are sent in for CWD testing.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  Game wardens do this often on road killed deer, bucks and does, heads are sent in for CWD testing.
                  I would hate to have that job.
                  Not found on the road though. It has been a few years since I don't hunt outside of my own place. Public land in La.is where I saw this happen.
                  Last edited by Traxx; 12-01-2017, 11:23 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

So is beef.
                    Prolly not lean enough.....

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                      Prolly not lean enough.....

Sure it is. A little fat never hurt anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Regarding shooting a doe: where I hunt, does are only legal during archery season. I would gladly shoot a doe (almost did opening weekend, but she wouldn't stand broadside.)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                          You hit the nail on the head. Ive seen a bad decline in quality as well. To many hunters in our area taking young studs and letting older inferior deer walk. Im not specifically talking about deer less than 13" but only having 1 tag for a deer wider than 13. Why would anyone want to shoot a 5 year old 6 point thats 15 wide before the rut when they pay big money to hunt. This rule forces people to pick between the 2. All that I see being killed now are very nice framed deer instead of the old ugly racks. In other words the good looking deer are being slaughtered and the inferior deer are all getting passes.
                          Hate to hear this, but at least I am not crazy. Before, folks could and would shoot just any buck and that spread the harvest over many age classes. Yes, you'd lose some small bucks because guys couldn't hold their pee, but that would let another decent buck walk that would be shot otherwise. Again, I am in favor of the rule in most places, just not my place now.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                            Regarding shooting a doe: where I hunt, does are only legal during archery season. I would gladly shoot a doe (almost did opening weekend, but she wouldn't stand broadside.)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
                            Get on MLD

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              Get on MLD
                              That's what I was fixing to post until you did. I'm not sure how the new MLD system works but yes, once you get into the higher level MLD's, 13" rule doesn't apply and you can get those older, narrow bucks that slipped through the cracks.

Comment

Ask anyone in the original 6 counties if AR has worked. Even the hardest headed Bohemians have seen the light.

Comment

Working...
                                X