No announcement yet.

Ted Nugent article about Bow Poundage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bow is a 70 lb bow set at 63 lb's. Effortless to draw and hold. I see no need to go heavier.

And Ted isn't saying you need to shoot 40-50 lb's. He's saying draw what's easy and smooth. It makes perfect sense. Adding that couple extra pounds if it makes you struggle will not be helping.

And cranking it up to gain speed to "close the pin gap " is just trying to cover a lack of skill in judging distance... Something that has been one of the most important skills for archers

Rick perry's comment of "what should it be " as to minimum weight is what's wrong with lawmakers. They always think everything has to be legislated and regulated.
    Last edited by PSD Ryan; 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

One of the major ways to increase the amount of stored energy during the power stroke is to shoot a compound bow with a higher maximum draw weight. All other things being equal, a 70 lb. bow will store more energy and shoot faster than a 60 lb. bow. The maximum draw weight of the bow is typically determined by the stiffness of the bow's limbs. Compound bows come in a variety of maximum draw weights, but the most common are the 50-60 lb. and 60-70 lb. versions. When you may purchase a bow with 70 lb. limbs, you can generally adjust the draw weight 1-10 lbs. down from the maximum weight. Keep in mind that a 70 lb. bow, turned down to 60 lbs., will not perform as well as the same bow in a 60 lb. version operating at it's maximum draw weight. Bows perform at their peak at or near their maximum draw weight.

good read
      Last edited by casilva43; 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

My sister-in-law has killed a whitetail buck and a sika buck, both complete pass thru shots, both at or just under 20 yards, bow is set just under 40#, 100 grain Thunderheads. Not sure you need 70# draw weight for great penetration on deer in Texas.

Comment

I agree with Ted on this one. It's very rare that I shoot at a archery range that isn't full of guys pulling way too much with poor form. If your pulling too much and can't keep it at least in the 8 ring is when I say it's time for a change. I also have no problem with guys shooting heavy bows as long as they don't brag about it or their arrow fps.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by casilva43 View Post
              http://www.stickemarchery.com/sticke...echnology.aspx

. Keep in mind that a 70 lb. bow, turned down to 60 lbs., will not perform as well as the same bow in a 60 lb. version operating at it's maximum draw weight. Bows perform at their peak at or near their maximum draw weight.

good read
              This is actually no longer the case. Mathews would confirm this. Bow technology has come a very long way since that statement held water.

Comment

What does it really matter the amount of pounds your bow is set to if you shoot accurate and are comfortable??? Is bragging about shooting an 90 # bow any different than bragging about low pound bow pass thru??? Shoot what makes you the best archer and ultimately the best hunter... Mis dos centavos...

Comment

I think bow weight has become misunderstood like the magnum craze with rifles. If you look at the effectiveness of the 30-06, then the WSM, win mag, Wby mag, 30cal Lazzeroni, and every other more powerful 30cal concoction is really only needed for flatter shooting at long distance.

Similarly to guys using a win mag for deer at 100yds, guys (even me) use 70lb bows for deer at 20.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ the TP Guru View Post
                    This is actually no longer the case. Mathews would confirm this. Bow technology has come a very long way since that statement held water.
                    This

Comment

Good read, and no doubt its a good idea for hunting whitetail. But I have been on a couple hunts where we are specifically pig hunting and someone shoots a pig and the arrow only goes a couple of inches. Yes, they probably hit that plate in the shoulder, but had they had their bows cranked, I think we would have recovered the animal.

Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that Perry understood Ted's explanation of Kinetic Energy

Comment

I shoot 60 , the more lbs the more of a chance of getting hurt.

Comment

todays new bows dosnt take much poundage any more

Comment

No it doesn't take much poundage to kills deer these days.

But more poundage=bigger cutting diameter broadhead= more blood

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf in Hawaii View Post
                                I haven't built a bow, recurve or longbow (on purpose) over#50 in almost 10 years.
                                ===================
                                Hello All
                                X2 on the 50 pounds.
                                I set that at my extreme . Many moons ago for hunting. I'm 78 and still have a good shoulder to thank for it. And still able to shoot.
                                You guys should have used are broad heads. And if that 50 pound recurve bow, had the broad heads available today. Oh my. [ Later

Comment

Working...
                                X