No announcement yet.

Ted Nugent article about Bow Poundage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya'l heard that Uncle Ted is now with Mathews, Quit Martin after all these years - check out the Mathews web site :- http://mathewsinc.com/582661/ted-nug...athews-family/

Comment

good read.. thanks for posting

Comment

Ted and I use the same meat processor.

He keeps a bowl of Teds and Shemanes arrow tips that break off in the deer that they bring in.

I neither agree nor disagree.
        Good read

Comment

New to archery but seems this argument is similar to gun calibers. Why shoot a 243 when you can shoot a 50cal. Why carry a 9mm when I can have a 45. I don't feel like I'm leaving anything on the table just because I'm not shooting the biggest or fastest. There are many other things that go into it.

Comment

Originally posted by krazykevin76 View Post
            New to archery but seems this argument is similar to gun calibers. Why shoot a 243 when you can shoot a 50cal. Why carry a 9mm when I can have a 45. I don't feel like I'm leaving anything on the table just because I'm not shooting the biggest or fastest. There are many other things that go into it.
            Here is what I would perceive to be the difference. Distance. Shooting a rifle requires little to no movement and is typically over a much greater distance. With a bow you are shooting at an animal that is 20 yards away. The greater the poundage of the bow, the greater the possibility of strain and excess movement to draw, hold and shoot. The reason lower poundage might be desirable is the ease to draw that bow undetected.

Comment

shoot what you shoot accurately

Uncle Ted does that and it works . . . doesn't mean it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
                Ted and I use the same meat processor.

He keeps a bowl of Teds and Shemanes arrow tips that break off in the deer that they bring in.

I neither agree nor disagree.
                Good read
                you mean to tell me Ted doesn't use his Outdoor Edge and Foodsaver products on all his animals like he says he does ?

kill it and grill it

Comment

im on the fence on this one. I can uderstand ease of draw...but wouldnt penetration be more desireable if you can?

Comment

It seems like most (not all) of the folks that shoot higher poundage like to measure things in their pants alot.

" yeah man, I shoot 85#. Look how big mine is."

The deer aren't any deader.

Shoot what works best for you but more weight isn't always better.

Ike

Comment

A friend in Las Vegas (owner of Pacific Archery) killed a 340 bull in Oregon three years ago with a 45# Z7. Arrow penetrated all the way through, bull ran 60 yds. Shot was about 45 yds.

Comment

When I purchased my bow, they had set it at #55 so I could shoot several bows in one session and also adjust the one I had picked. After was all said and done, I asked them to push it to 60 and I just had the hardest time (granted I had drawn about 50 times that day.) I had them put it back to #55.

I kept thinking I was going to raise it as I got used to it, but then it dawned on me "what is the point?" I want something that I can pick up any day of the week and draw consistently like I had that day, when I had not pulled back a bow and was in my typical strength.

I have not moved it up or down, and don't plan on it now.

Comment

Im very new to this, been shooting my bow I bought 1 week ago. I shot it at 53lbs and I shot so accurate that I went up to 65lbs.... now I shoot terrrible groups. From what I have gathered on this forum penetration is great but that comes second to accuracy. I went to 55lbs and shooting accurate again, that to me is more important. Am I right?

Comment

Yea, on his show he shoots everything with low poundage.

My bow is only 55# but I had a complete passthrough on a Buffalo!

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                              Yep, my main bow maxes out at 60, and it ain't maxed out.
                              Me Too !!

Comment

Lesson learned today:

set the bow to draw smoothly, practice, use good broad heads, and make a well placed shot !!

Sounds about right !!

Comment

Working...
                                X